Wednesday 17 February 2016

Paperback's Pondering's: To Hype or to not Hype?


Paperback's Pondering's is a weekly discussion when I take a topic and well, ponder about it! This week's topic is about whether or not to follow hyped books.

I did a Paperback's Pondering's post on hype about a year ago, but I wanted to bring the topic back because it seems as if my opinions have kind of changed on the subject. So here we go:

We've all been there: looking at Twitter and gawking over a book that gets shared over and over on our timeline. Now of course we trust our fellow blogger's opinions, so if EVERYONE is saying that this book is fabulous, then it must be. Right?

I am guilty of following hype. I'm one of those people that just assumes that if everyone loves a book, then I must love it too. I feel as if there is sort of a bookish pressure that is put on people when a hyped book comes along. They feel sort of obligated to give the book a try, or so they can join in on all the fangirling discussions and not feel left out. However hyped books cannot always work in your favour, and sometimes you may get more than what you bargained for when it comes to trying that seemingly "perfect" book.

On the positive side of things first, hyped books can be a great way to bring new fans in. Imagine the look on an author's face when they see millions of people gushing over how great their book is. It makes it seem like all of their hardwork paid off. Hyped books are great ways of making new friends, new fandoms, and making maybe little known authors receive new opportunities.

Also, hyped books can, of course, make you discover your new favourite book! Think of it this way, you're in a reading slump, nothing seems to be interesting to you, and all of the sudden this glorious book comes down from the heavens and grasps your heart and never let's go! And now, you are whole again. Maybe following the hype was a good idea.

Or maybe it wasn't. On the negative side, hyped books can generate a bookish bias amongst people, People might feel like they just have to rate a book higher than they wanted to because of the hype surrounding it. I mean, it couldn't be as bad as I thought it was... can it?

There's also the opportunity for crazed bookworms of the book to sometimes attack those who didn't like it. Now this is obviously just a handful of the bunch, but some people just get too protective over books that they feel as if nobody could ever not like it. Not true, because here I am, giving it a one star.

Now, I would say that I do not like following hype. It has failed me too often in the past couple of months, that I like to actually stay away now and just go for the things that I have researched more. However there is always that slight urge I get when a book starts floating around the community.

To go along with this topic, I've compiled a list of my favourite/non-favourite hyped books, to give you a representation on where I stand with hype:

Favourites:

The Fault in Our Stars by: John Green
A lot of people love it, and a lot of people hate it, but I found it to be so beautiful.

The Selection series by: Kiera Cass
This series seems so cheesy to some but honestly they are so addicting!

The Divergent series by: Veronica Roth
Got me first hooked on dystopia, and to be honest, I really liked the movie adaptions as well.

The Harry Potter series by: J.K. Rowling
I'm not even going to explain myself with this one.

Non-Favourites:

Throne of Glass series by: Sarah J. Maas
This series escalated into something terrible for me.

After by: Anna Todd
The last time I read a One Direction fanfiction.

The Maze Runner by: James Dashner
I kind of liked the movies better than the books... oops.

Cinder: by: Marissa Meyer
Oh was this book ever so boring for me! Ugh I could not stand it!

There you have it! I guess hype could go either ways, and it's up to you and your willpower to decide whether or not you want to follow it.

Do you follow hype? Why/Why Not?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

11 comments:

  1. Hype.... *shudders* 8 times out of 10 hype ruins a book for me. There are so many books that I will not read just because of the hype surrounding them. I don't care if people say they are the best books to ever come into humanity's existence, I really do not like hyped up books just because it doesn't feel right reading them. I don't trust the hype. I feel like a lot of times hype gives a false sense of how good the book is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find that hype has not been benefitting me lately! Now I'm starting to go on my opinions alone. I think trust is a big issue.

      Delete
  2. I don't follow hype since I only read library books and have to work within their availability constraints. However, looking through your list I've read or DNF'd all of them (except for After, which I haven't heard of/read). Of the list I enjoyed Maze Runner (only the first book though), Cinder (again, liked the first book DNF'd the rest of the series) and sheesh, the same with Divergent-loved the first book, disliked the second one and didn't bother with the third :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried so hard to read The Maze Runner and yet I could not get through it! Same with Cinder. I loved Divergent, did not like Insurgent, and then loved Allegiant so it was like a cycle for me.

      Delete
  3. Hype is a huge issue for me personally... :/
    I usually choose books based on the synopsis, and hype shows me which books are popular, and from there, I pick the books I want to read.
    Still, once I commit to reading the book, there is that element of coercion for me, where I feel like I have to enjoy the book, and like you said, I subsequently rate some books higher than I think they should be, BECAUSE OF HYPE >.<
    And you are so on point, with what you said about other bookworms to attack people who don't love it :/
    Fantastic discussion, Emily - I loved how you dealt with this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geraldine! For me it's the problem that most hyped YA is fantasy, which I've had bad experiences with in the past. I think what's important is not necessarily not reading the hyped books, but waiting for it to die down first.

      Delete
    2. That's actually pretty true, now that I think about it! I used to love fantasy, so I guess I understand the hype, but nowadays I just don't love it so much :/
      Yeah, once the hype dies down, I think I'd probably approach reading the book like I would with any other! :)

      Delete
  4. Hype sometimes actually puts me off books because I'm just so *sick* of hearing about them. Sometimes I'll wait for the hype to die down (at least a little) before trying the book, because I feel like I'm coming at it fresher and with less expectations of what it'll be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good method! I like waiting too because you do get that sense of the calm after the storm.

      Delete
  5. I have to admit that I am one of those people that can't resist hype. Whether I end up liking a book or not, chances are if it's been hyped up I'll at least give it a go. Curiosity just gets the better of me and I have to know what all the fuss is over!

    However, I also tend to go into hyped books with very negative thoughts and low expectations - along the lines of 'it won't be as good as they all say it is'. Fortunately, I've been pleasantly surprised some time, but more often than not I'm left wondering why on earth I picked it up.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so curious too which is a constant struggle of mine! I'm the opposite, I'll go in thinking that it will be the best book in the world which only leads to disappointment :(

      Delete