Friday 19 February 2016

Everything, Everything by: Nicola Yoon

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Published: September 1, 2015 by: Delacorte Books
Pages: 320
Rating: 3.5/5 stars



Madeleine has always lived in a bubble. Her rare immune disorder leaves her practically allergic to the world, and forbids her from leaving the confines of her home. The only person who understands her, is her spunky and caring nurse Carla, who defends her against her mother’s over-protectiveness. But when charming and comical Olly moves in next door, Maddie will do anything to be close to him. Even if that means endangering herself.

Everything, Everything was a difficult book to review. That is because I have read and loved similar books in the past, but this book just fell flat and unoriginal for me. While I loved the concept and theme of the book, I think a lot more could have been delivered on plot.

Maddie’s disease is extremely rare and was extremely fascinating to read about. I think the author did a great job at covering a unique topic that is not widely known. I can’t imagine what anyone living with the disease would have to go through. I think that the author provided a great breath of fresh air from the disease that is usually portrayed in YA, as well as the topic was extremely interesting and made me want to read more about it.

I liked some of the characters, but not all. I loved Maddie’s nurse Carla. She was a great maternal/big sister force in Maddie’s life and I felt as if she was the only one who truly understood her. That being said, Maddie’s character for me was flat. I loved her love for reading, I think that was a great touch that I could relate to, but she was just too cookie-cutter for me. Olly was the same.

Here’s something that really surprised me: the ending. You kind of get this sense in YA contemporaries portraying disease that there will be a predictable ending. However this ending shocked me and left me wanting more. It was extremely different and something that I was totally not expecting, which I thought was a great way to end.

I just couldn’t connect with the main characters as a whole. Maddie was extremely impulsive and dull. She thought with her heart before her mind, which can work in some instances, but didn’t work for her. Olly was your typical male lead, he didn’t strike out at me at all and he didn’t affect me one bit.

Even though the ending to this book was amazing, the leading up to it was pretty predictable and boring. I could get a full sense what was going to happen in the beginning and middle, and the chemistry between characters was nothing to cry about. They were just your typical YA couple, which bored me.

So overall, this book was good, but not great. I was mostly swayed by the cover, which is gorgeous by the way, but I didn’t think that there was anything besides the end that sets it apart from all the others.

Have you read Everything, Everything? What did you think?


Emily @ Paperback Princess

7 comments:

  1. I read it and I really liked it. I identified with Maddie personally because she is ethnically diverse like I am and when she was describing her skin and her hair, it felt like I was reading about myself. I also have a shit ton of allergies (although mine are actually legit) so I connected in that way. In other ways, I definitely agree she was pretty flat and I didn't think Olly was anything special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her diversity and I thought that the imagery of her was on point! But her personality was a huge damper.

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read this book for a long while I swear. I'm sorry the characters fell flat for you though :( At least there were other really great characters worth admiring, such as Carla! And you got me at the ending. I'm so curious at that ending when you mentioned how unpredictable it was. I MUST READ THIS <3 great review Emily!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say still give it a go! The ending is something definitely worth checking out. Thanks Jillian!

      Delete
  3. I read this and I thought it was okay. I loved the writing and the concept, but I kept thinking that there was something missing. Every time there was a part with a drawing or instant messsage or something like that I felt like it took away. Like she was replacing story with these other elements. I don't know if it was just me trying to find what was wrong, or if anybody else felt like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you're saying! The drawings or instant messages I guess was supposed to add a unique element, but it did get in the way of some crucial information in the story.

      Delete