Wednesday 24 February 2016

Paperback's Pondering's: I Don't Like People On My Covers!


Paperback's Pondering's is a weekly discussion when I take a topic and well, ponder about it! This week's topic is all about why I never liked real people on my book covers.

I have to admit something: I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I've always taken pride in the fact that I do not care about what's on my bookcover's, and that they don't really affect what I buy. However recently I discovered that there is a common thing on many bookcovers that I loath. I've never liked real people, or models on bookcovers.

This hate sort of started in Grade 8, when I read Delirium by: Lauren Oliver. Now don't get me wrong, this was an amazing book that I will stand by, however the cover of the book featured a very close up image of a teenage girl. I don't know why, but this made me feel really awkward and even turn the book onto the other side when it was on my desk.

Models on contemporary novels are not uncommon. Many books feature the romance of two teens in love, or a really sultry close-up. These do not play well in my book, as I find it to be very cheesy and overbearing, and sometimes a bit creepy.

There's something so awkward about picking up a book and having the main character stare back at you. This is a problem I've noticed a lot of people are having with The Crown by: Kiera Cass. The look on the model's face almost stares into someones soul, and it doesn't leave a very nice impression. Facial expression is important people!

I also feel like more often than not, the model on the cover is nothing like how I imagined the character in my head. Giving you the character in real form, kind of forces an image on you, and throughout the entire book you are now visualising the character to look like the model. It kind of takes away the creativity of being able to craft your own character.

Another important thing: poses. A lot of contemporary romances show these teens in these cheesy poses that look more like a stock photo than a book cover. It completely turns me off of a book because I immediately associate the book with being predictable and having no substance.

So, what can authors do? I personally love simple covers, keeping a clean crisp background with a few focal points that stand out, and these are things, not people.

So what do you think? Do you care about models on bookcovers, or could you care either way?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

17 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the original hardback for Throne of Glass which made the book seem way less cooler than it actually was. Also, the Vampire Academy/Bloodlines covers. They literally look like erotic novels!!
    Naomi@The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like the original ToG covers at all! That's why I got the ebooks instead of the physicals, I did not like them enough to put on my shelf.

      Delete
  2. I totally get you. People on covers bother me, especially when they are literally the exact opposite of how the character is described in the book. They just feel so cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just looks so rehearsed and forced. Like a movie poster, ugh.

      Delete
  3. I think when it's done *well* it can be both effective and beautiful - I think your best bet for that is the sort of from-a-distance behind-the-model in-a-spooky-setting shot that you get on a lot of angel books and paranormal stuff etc. On the other hand, sometimes you're *much* better off with something simple and striking (say what you want about Twilight, but those covers are iconic.) I guess it's all a matter of individual preference, at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for me the big problem is faces. I hate it when a character's staring back at me. But I do agree, the Twilight covers were done in a quite striking way.

      Delete
    2. I can see how that would be freaky - although, I *do* like the cover of Witch Child by Celia Rees - uber-striking and cool :)

      Delete
  4. I've never been a fan of having the actors from the movie version of a book on my book's cover. I try to avoid buying those and get the original versions whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is also a branch of the issue. The original covers are always better in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. I DEFINITELY hate models on the covers of books- and yeah, I did so hate that creepy ass stare of the model on the cover of The Crown! And just like you, I've almost always kept the covers of such books turned on to the other side- imagine the fright I'd get if I were to wake up in the middle of the night to someone staring at me! Ugh. And covers with models in sultry poses- it's worse when it comes to couples- are horribly embarrassing to be taken out in public. At least they are so to me. Great discussion, Em! :))

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand WHY they would make her face like that! Like I get that Eadlyn is pretty much a miserable person, but it's so scary, she looks like she's mad at us or something! Sultry poses are too much, especially if the book isn't that sexual to begin with. Thanks Ruzaika!

      Delete
  6. Yep, models on books always make me cringe! I hate the Anna and the French Kiss book with the models, but I love the one which is just pink and simplistic. I think the points you brought up here accurately explain why I dislike them so much - especially the one about stock images and predictability, which I never really thought of before!
    Fantastic discussion, Emily! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geraldine! The pink Anna and the French Kiss edition is so pretty compared to the model one.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha that was not what I was expecting when I saw the post title. I mean, I was expecting the complaint about the person not matching the description, but not the part about feeling like the model is staring into your soul. I guess I've yet to encounter that problem? I can see how that would be unsettling though!

    What I hate is stock photos being used. Because then the same person gets used on numerous books, and, as you said, it forces that image into my head. So it's like the same character is now in all those different stories. If it's original artwork though, I actually like that. I sometimes have that issue of characters being vague blobs in my head or a lot of them kind of looking the same, especially females, so I like having something to go on when it is, in fact, specifically made to look like that character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I guess you're one of the lucky ones having not encountered that yet! That's a good point, if descriptions aren't really clear on characters, then it can be hard to imagine them without a guide. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Somebody else already mentioned this, but I only like it if it's done well. 98% of the time I hate models on covers. The only book that I can think off the top of my head that has a girl on the cover is Kiss of Deception and The Heart of Betrayal. That's sort of the style that I think works well with models on covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I get that sometimes they can be done well, I think when the model shows their face it makes it seem more forced and "theatrical".

      Delete