Friday 26 February 2016

One by: Sarah Crossan

Genre: Young Adult fiction, Contemporary
Published: September 15,2015 by: Greenwillow Books
Pages: 400
Rating: 5/5 stars



Tippi and Grace have always been together. That is, because they are conjoined twins. Life has been a struggle for the two girls, but they have lasted 16 years, and get by. But when a growing financial problem in their home forces them into public school for the first times in their lives, Grace and Tippi face the dilemma of fitting in, when they were born to stand out. Then the unthinkable happens, which forces Grace and Tippi to possibly make the hardest decision of their lives.

For those of you who don't know, I have a twin. Over the years, we have constantly gotten curious remarks, compliments, and have just gained general interest by our classmates. However one year, a boy in our class, a very ignorant boy, told us that he wished we were Siamese twins because that would be "cool". He was a teenager, and fully knew better. After reading this book, I gained a full understanding that conjoined twins are not animals to be locked up and gawked at. They are not "cool". They are human beings, and although I have complained many times over the years about the annoying remarks my sister and I go through, I cannot even imagine what Grace and Tippi had to go through. Why are people so ignorant?

This entire book is told from Grace's point of view. I think of her as kind of the shyer one of the bunch, she is reserved while Tippi has great interest in dramatic arts and is more outgoing. I thought that it was smart in a sense to give us a look into the mind of the quieter one, as she is sometimes overshadowed by her sister. I loved Grace and her sister's personalities, and their bond was undeniable. They relied on each other.

The entire book is written in free-verse poem. This was an incredibly unique experience that is not easy to do, and I applaud Crossan for captivating that emotion. The poems made everything sound even more beautiful, and I think the emotion came through tremendously when using this technique. It also makes the book extremely easy to get through.

I loved how this book explored various effects of Grace and Tippi's life. It's not only about their bond, but it's about romance, about financial troubles, illness, and even about their relationship with their other sister, whom they call Dragon. It was amazing to see everyone's points of views shine through even if Grace was essentially telling the story.

I finished this book in one sitting. Maybe it was because the free verse was easy to get through. Or maybe it was because I was simply captivated by the entire thing. This book tore on my heartstrings, it left me wanting more and I could not bring myself to stop. Some may say it was predictable, but I found it to be much more. Even though the ending was sad, I found it to be a triumphant honour to two sisters. These girls were not "cool". They were beautiful.

Have you read One? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

15 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I'm a sucker for a bold premise/style :) great review Emily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The premise of this really intrigued me, but the writing puts me off a little. I've never read a book that's in verse, so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it. I've only ever read poetry in school too! I might have to give it a go though, especially because you enjoyed it so much. If I'm brave enough to read it, I hope I'll enjoy it!

    Lovely review, Emily ♥
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! Do not be afraid of the verse! I don't read poetry at all, but honestly this book was easy to read and not confusing at all. If you do give it a try, let me know what you thought!

      Delete
  3. This book has first piqued my interest ever since I found out it was about conjoined twins! I just find that really interesting and cool somehow. Grace and Tippi seem to be really great protagonists, especially with having to overcome people's ignorance directed towards them. Looking forward to reading this book someday, so thanks so much for the review as always, Emily :D

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were probably some of the strongest protagonists I've ever come across! Hope you love the book Jillian!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with everything you've said Emily. This is such a beautifully written and eye-opening book. So insightful and powerful. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe! This book is one that I will never forget <3

      Delete
  6. Oh God, this looks like the kind of book that would make me want to cry nonstop D': I'm really glad you enjoyed it, it does sound very beautiful :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds really interesting, Emily! I've only read a book about conjoined twins once in my life, but that was really moving and touching, and I have a feeling this would be just as great! I've never been a fan of free-verse poem, but I think it would really work with the content of this book! I'll have to give this book a try sometime! Thanks for reviewing, Emily! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first book on conjoined twins that I've ever read, so you could say that it was so educational and inspiring. I think the free verse compared to the topic complimented it so much. Hope you get the chance to read it Geraldine!

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of One until now, and reading your review makes me want to read it! The story sounds pretty interesting and definitely uncommon, and I love unique books. And the fact that it's written as free-verse poetry makes it even more appealing to me. I'll have to check it out. :) Anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't met anyone who didn't love it! Hope you enjoy it, Kira!

      Delete