Sunday 3 August 2014

If I Stay By: Gayle Forman

Genre: Young Adult Romance, drama

If I Stay is a book that I have wanted to read for a long time. The book follows Mia, an aspiring cello player, who's life is turned upside-down when she and her family get in a car crash. Her family is killed, and her soul  is left to choose between life or death.

At first I was reluctant to read this book. I don't like sad stories, and a book about death freaked me out. I have to say I was quite surprised. I found the story very emotional, but a bit confusing at first, however, as the book progressed, I could understand the feelings of Mia and the other characters. I also fell madly in love with Mia's boyfriend, Adam. I found Adam to be so caring towards Mia. They were so cute together!

Even though the book contained a lot of drama, I still found it to be a heartwarming story. The love between Mia and her family was unbreakable. Her protectiveness over her brother was very strong. Even the love between her and Adam was undeniable.

The story of life and death was very thought-provoking. I am not a very emotional person, but I did enjoy this book because of the romance between Mia and Adam. I am all about  a good love story. I think that the book is quite mature, because of the theme.

Gayle Forman did a great job at capturing the emotion, love and life throughout this book. A movie of this book will be coming out this month, however I recommend that people should read the book before seeing the movie. Overall, I thought that this book was quite emotionally-charged, because of the suspense created to see if Mia "stays". I think that you will like this book if you enjoy a dramatic novel. I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Bye For Now!

Paperback Princess

2 comments:

  1. I'd really like to read this book! It sounds pretty good, and the movie looks fantastic. Lovely review!

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really want to see the movie too.

      Delete