Friday 30 December 2022

Month in Review: December

Happy New Year everyone! My year in review will be out in a few weeks, but for now, let's recap December: 

What I Read: 

Under the Whispering Door by: T.J. Klune: 4/5 stars 

A Minor Chorus by: Billy-Ray Belcourt: 4/5 stars 

Moon of the Crusted Snow by: Waubgeshig Rice: 4/5 stars 

mitêwâcimowina: Indigenous Science Fiction and Speculative Storytelling edited by: Neal McLeod: 4/5 stars 

Favourite book: This month, every book had the same rating! So, how did I choose a favourite? I went with Moon of the Crusted Snow, because that book could have easily been a five star read if not for the ending. A review will be soon to come. It was a great apocalyptic book by an Indigenous author, but ugh, I just wish the ending had some finishing touches. 

What I Blogged: 

I posted a list of Books I Have My Eye On To Buy in the New Year. This was a fun list to write as it includes some picks that have been on my wishlist for a while, and some new releases I am excited about. 

Favourite Posts of the Month: 

Sofia reads Other People's Favourite Books 

Roberta Returns to Blogging 

I noticed that my blogging reading list has become a little thin since people are taking hiatuses, and some have left the blogging world. So, this is an appeal. If you have a bookish blog recommendation, please send them my way! 

Life Stuff: 

Christmas was good, albeit the weather was kinda stressful. We got slammed with a snowstorm on December 23rd, and we weren't sure if we were going to be able to make it back home to spend time with family at all. Luckily the roads cleared just enough for us to make it home by Christmas Eve, and we had a lovely time. 

I was really happy seeing my family open up the presents I gave them, and overall everyone (including myself) were very grateful for the gifts received. Now I am preparing for the New Year, in which I return to being a teaching assistant for my university. I'm excited for the new position, which will be a welcome distraction from working on PhD applications. New Year, New Changes! That's for certain. 

So, that was my December! How was yours? 

Emily @ Paperback Princess


4 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm still here! But the title "Roberta Returns to Blogging" may be a little exaggerated LOL. I will, indeed, take a new hiatus in January, because the home situation is still challenging, and I'm really tired. I won't disappear though, rest assured 🙂.

    You had an adventurous Christmas Eve Eve (does such a thing exist? LOL) - glad you managed to make it home unscathed!

    Good luck on your new position and your PhD, and happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roberta! Lol, I suppose I was generous with the title, though seeing you post is always welcome no matter how frequent!

      Delete
  2. Glad you got home for Christmas! (Sounds like the perfect plot of a Christmas movie, btw - and I would know since my mother has been watching them non-stop since November! Lol.)

    Good luck with the teaching assistant job & everything else! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, Cee! It was quite adventurous indeed, and I will definitely sell the rights to the movie lol.

      Delete