Monday 26 December 2022

Books I Have My Eye On To Buy in the New Year!

Every Christmas I usually get a few Chapters gift cards that I use to do a book buying spree. (By spree I mean two or three books, which is a lot for me since I don't typically buy books). Anyways, my criteria for books I buy depends on the cover is nice or if the author is one I like to support. Sometimes, I will prioritize new, hyped releases as well. I thought it might be fun to list some books I've been thinking of buying during my annual shop, to see if other folks deem these books worthy of purchasing. 

1. Babel, Or the Necessity of Violence: An Arcane History of the Oxford Translators' Revolution by: R.F. Kuang 

I've seen this book hyped on pretty much every social media platform. I know of Kuang through her Poppy War series, which to be honest, I haven't read only because I am very picky with fantasies. However, I do think this book with its commentary on racism and colonization sounds super interesting, and so many people have been raving about it. I'm not opposed to picking it up, but a book of this length is definitely outside of my comfort zone. 

Goodreads Link

2. The Sunbearer Trials by: Aiden Thomas 

This is a book I am fairly confident I'll love. It's the first book in a Hunger Games-inspired series by well-loved author Aiden Thomas, an author who is an auto-buy writer for me. I am definitely leaning towards picking this book up in the near future. 

Goodreads Link 

3. Icebreaker by: Hannah Grace 

This is a hockey/figure skating romance that comes out in February. I am a big fan of sports romances, especially hockey, but only when the relationships are not toxic or problematic. This book sounds so sweet and the fact that the MC is a figure skater makes it even more fun! I love figure skating as a sport too so this book seems like a perfect match. 

Goodreads Link 

4. Porcupines and China Dolls by: Robert Arthur Alexie 

I read a lot of Indigenous literature thanks to my degree, but I have yet to get to this book that I know has received very positive reviews. It involves two Indigenous men coming to terms with adulthood while also dealing with the traumatic aftermath of being in the residential school system. I haven't been able to find this book at the library and I am always up for supporting an Indigenous author. 

Goodreads Link 

5. The Midnight Library by: Matt Haig 

Another fantasy book that will be a gamble if I buy, but that I am still intrigued by. I read The Comfort Book by Matt Haig about a month ago and thought it was such a sweet, wholesome read. I know Haig is very open about mental illness and something about that makes me want to support him. I have heard positive reviews about this book and the cover looks lovely, but I'm just iffy if it will be for me. 

Goodreads Link 

6. I'm Glad My Mom Died by: Jennette McCurdy 

The title of this book is jarring, but I think you really need to read it to understand why it is. I know little about McCurdy's life but she was an integral part of my childhood, and I am a big fan of memoirs. I'm very interested in this book and think it would definitely be a quick read. 

Goodreads Link 

This is a very small list of some books on my radar to buy once 2023 rolls around, but I am definitely open to more suggestions! Have you read any of these books, and are they worth the physical copies? Are there any other books worth buying? Let me know! 

Emily @ Paperback Princess

6 comments:

  1. This is fun! There are so many awesome looking books coming out. Enjoy!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read The Midnight Library, but I have read How To Stop Time, and The Humans, by Matt Haig - he has a unique kind of tone that isn't exactly the same as his non-fiction, but there are similarities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen you quote Matt Haig before, so I am definitely interested!

      Delete
    2. In fairness, I usually quote Notes on A Nervous Planet, which is non-fiction :)

      Delete
    3. I'll have to add that to my TBR!

      Delete