Friday 3 October 2014

Matched by: Ally Condie (Matched Series Book: 1)

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopia, Romance

Matched was a dystopian novel based on the power of choosing. This book reminded me of the book : The Giver, which I also did a review on, however this book is more romance-based. Cassia Reyes has never once questioned her Society's ways. When a girl and boy reaches a certain age, they are chosen a match, the person they are supposed to spend the rest of their life with. The Society chooses your spouse, your job and even when/how you die. Cassia always thought that this way, her town was so orderly. That it, until she is forced to choose for the first time in her life. At her matching ceremony, her best friend Xander is matched with her, however so is a man named Ky. The Society gives her the option to choose her spouse. However, how can she choose between her polite best friend, or the notorious outsider of her Society? Along the way, Cassia begins to learn the truth behind her not-so-orderly world.

This book was a good read. I always love a good dystopian novel, and this book was a different take on that concept. I liked how romance was the main focus of this novel, because my two favourite genres to read are romance and dystopia. The book was clever, interesting and provided me with great suspense, as to who Cassia would choose. That is, there are still two books in the series, so there are still questions left unanswered.

One thing that was disappointing about this book was it was very slow-moving. I don't like it when books can't get to the point. I felt as if there were a lot of pointless parts to the plot. Nothing interesting was happening. I understand that a book must have blocks in between suspense, however I feel as if some parts were irrelevant. I almost wanted to skip pages that I didn't find interesting. (which is serious for me, because I NEVER skip pages) However, the parts with suspense, were still great.

Overall, I would say that this book, though still being a bit boring, was a very good book. I liked the concept, the characters and the romance. I would have liked it to be still, more interesting at times. I would rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.


Bye For Now!
Paperback Princess




No comments:

Post a Comment