Sunday 23 July 2023

Paperback's Ponderings: Leaving Things to the "Experts"

I can be a very indecisive person. I am the type of person who will ask a lot of people their opinion on a subject and then will make my decision based on what they recommend. This gets tricky when people suggest different things. But anyways, I think that I often assume people have more expertise on a subject than me. This sometimes leads to me selling myself short and then going along with what someone tells me to do even if it isn't necessarily what I want to do. A lifetime in school has made me realize that maybe I shouldn't always be leaving my decisions to be made by the "experts." 

I'm going to relate this subject mostly on academic-related activities, but I think this idea can apply to a lot of different scenarios. I have been working on non-stop essays and editing projects for the past three years or so. More often than not I have a professor working alongside me in these projects; they are there to offer edits and suggestions. However, since I am often a victim of the inner saboteur, I think I let suggestions and constructive feedback take over my project, to the point where I'm not even sure at the end if I like the project I'm writing. I don't think academics offer advice in a strict "you have to do this" way, but my own low self-esteem just assumes that they know what they're talking about more than I do. And this is not to say that an esteemed professor who has been editing a whole lot more than me doesn't sometimes know what's best. However, I also wish that I was able to advocate for myself more and for my own self interests.

There was one time last year where I turned down advice, and oh boy was it uncomfortable for me! A professor had offered a suggestion that I just didn't want to go with, and I had my heart set on a different direction. My friends told me that I needed to stand my ground (there's me asking for advice again, lol). But in this case, it was important that I listened to the advice of my friends. I was letting someone who can be very assertive make decisions for me, and while I know those decisions came with good intentions, I definitely needed to practice being assertive back. After all, life only gets more complicated, and I do not want to enter the workforce as someone who lets others walk all over her. To this day, I still question if I made the right decision. But the practice of advocating for myself I think did make me all the more stronger. 

I think I need to rethink how I conceive of people's expertise. I need to listen attentively when someone gives me advice, but also not let them make all of my decisions for me. I need to make sure that my strengths are shown in a project, as opposed to someone else's. Most importantly, especially as a woman, I think I need to be more assertive to build my confidence. I'm not ignorant to the way that sexism functions in academia, and I'll be damned if I let a man run my life. 

This is my self-reflection. While I understand that having an anxiety disorder definitely makes these situations all the more complicated, I think practicing assertion is a great way to show anxiety who's boss. 

What do you think? Do you often let others make decisions for you? What is your definition of an "expert?" 

Emily @ Paperback Princess

12 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem...when someone tries to convince me of something, I become more stubborn in my beliefs/decisions. And I tend not to ask other people for advice very often. I guess this can be wrong as well, when it becomes a repeated pattern...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be more stubborn tbh... we should trade!

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm similar to you as I would take other people's advice over mine. I suppose we can't always stop other people from influencing us especially when we know they have good intentions. But maybe also it comes down to whether you trust that person enough to listen in the first place. I would like to be more assertive but it's not always easy. I'm too used to taking and accepting other people's advice, it's sort of a habit.

    As to experts, I suppose this is harder to define. With some people, we know easily they are experts in whatever field and with some, it's harder to say. Some of us go about depending on the internet as experts even when they are not sure of the source. I don't want to say don't rely on the experts but some people really know what they are doing.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that being more assertive is definitely not easy! Sometimes I barely know the person but feel as if they know best. It's not always healthy for me.

      Delete
  3. [CW for comment: Anxiety and Depression]

    Ugh, my Anxiety tends to fixate on being 'wrong' - regardless of whether it's even possible to be wrong in a situation. So yes, I will take *everything* as criticism - even if it's not meant as such - as proof that I'm doing something 'wrong.' And then Depression takes Anxiety's conclusions and runs with them... *sigh*

    On the flipside, I hate being told to do things by people I know aren't as smart as me, but somehow think they're smarter. And - arrogant though it might be - I know that I'm smarter than an awful lot of people. That tends to be a problem when dealing with doctors in particular, who think they're really smart as a rule, and will treat you like you don't have a single brain cell. ...It also got me into trouble on several occasions in school. I mean... I was a good kid, on the whole, but I would kind of explode into literal shouting matches when pushed beyond reason. And I went to a really sh**ty school, so there were a few instances where I was pushed beyond reason.

    (I think it scared the teachers, actually, because as a rule I'm pretty externally quiet - internally it's pretty loud, so I tend not to notice that the noise isn't reflected on the outside. Lol.)

    ...But I generally only give authority the level of respect it gives me, and then only if it's not doing something exceptionally stupid (...doctors are surprisingly unintelligent, just saying.) That said, I'm more than happy to accept when I don't know enough about something, or when someone has an equally valid viewpoint.

    So yeah, I'm essentially a stubborn little so-and-so with an Anxious streak a mile wide - lots of internal conflict involved. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok yeah I feel the doctor comment. I had a doctor's appt just yesterday and the doctor kinda dismissed my issues even though I know the treatment I am doing now is working and that lessening it wouldn't be helpful. I've had good and bad experiences with doctors but I agree that sometimes doctors can be very arrogant and think they do truly know everything about someone's own body than the owner of said body lol.

      Delete
  4. I make decisions quickly. Sometimes too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard sometimes because it's easy to defer to an "expert." And especially in academia I think (but in the work world too, now that I think of it) there is that push/ pull... like, when do you defer to another and when do you stick to your ground? It's a balancing act for sure. And very frustrating sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also someone who asks others what they think before I make my own mind up. I think professionals can be helpful, but at the end of the day, we know ourselves and what we want better than anyone. My friend is currently facing a similar problem with her agent providing too many edits on her book that it is turning it into something she doesn't even like anymore. Good on you for standing your ground in the end. I hope my friend will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your friend is able to find that balance! Editing is sooo difficult when there's other people involved.

      Delete