Friday 2 August 2019

Paperback's Pondering's: I'm Kinda Over Harry Potter


*Cue screams from HP fans.* When I was in elementary school, like most bookworms, I lived and breathed Harry Potter. I had t-shirts, watched the movies and re-read the books non-stop, and would attend any HP event I could find. Since I got older, I have tried to keep up with that obsession by re-reading the novels and still trying to attend HP themed events. I went to a midnight release for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and I always expected to go see the play if it ever came to Toronto. But, when the opportunity finally arose to go see it, I realized that I'm just not in to Harry Potter anymore.

I have come to terms with the fact that Harry Potter was always just a phase for me, and was not going to be permanent interest. I feel like I forced myself in my teens to re-read the series when it just didn't interest me anymore. I have watched the movies to the death that they just don't provide a level of comfort they once did. Now it's just like: "ugh, another Harry Potter movie?" I am not into the so-called eighth novel whatsoever and I don't have any desire to see the play.

I find it interesting how I seemed to force Harry Potter onto myself when I was so clearly not into it anymore. I just feel like it is the quintessential novel to like. I mean, EVERY bookworm loves Harry Potter, right? It wasn't until I saw a tweet from a bookworm who said she thought Harry Potter was overrated, that I realized: wait, these people do exist.

I feel like as bookworms we can sometimes put beloved series up on pedestal that are so worshipped that it seems INCONCEIVABLE that anyone would dislike it. Upon working with some Harry Potter obsessed girls last fall, and watching them re-read the series over and over again, I pretended so much to still be interested in the story, but in reality I have just moved on. If the movies are on tv for the millionth time, I'll be like: "cool, Harry Potter is on, I remember when I used to like that series." But then I'll probably change the channel. I do look back on my Harry Potter phase with fond memories, but now I am confident in saying that it is just not my thing anymore. This is my HP confessional.

Are there any beloved series that you have fallen out of interest from?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

8 comments:

  1. Who are you and what have you done with Emily? ;)

    Lol. I'm joking, ofc. If you're not feeling the Potter-ness any more, then you're not feeling it *shrugs* - you like what you like, and the same goes for stuff you're just not into.

    I have to admit that part of what I love most about Harry Potter is the creativity it inspires - the fan art, fanfiction (esp. when including rubber ducks or Ron turning to Draco and Harry and being like, 'just kiss dammit!') and the memes. Harry Potter has a life outside canon - and I love it! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So when my sister read this post she literally said the exact same thing! She said that you cannot deny the world of creativity that has arose from HP. And I totally appreciate it for that.

      Delete
  2. I feel the SAME WAY! I was obsessed with Harry Potter as a kid and read and reread the series a million times. Although I still adore it, I am not a HP fanatic anymore like everyone else seems to be. The story is good and magical, but let's face it--the writing is just okay. My dad and I have always said that it is a great story but not much else. I still love it, but I am not obsessed like most HP fans still seem to be. I don't particularly care which house I am or if you like the books or not. I still enjoy watching the movies and occasionally reading the books every few years, but it is overrated. And this whole eighth book thing is nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I literally do not care which house I am in anymore LOL. I tried to get into Pottermore as well and it just didn’t work. I guess it’s still so beloved by a lot of people, but I’m not really into all the new fads that Rowling is putting out.

      Delete
  3. I definitely lost interest in Harry Potter over the years - after discovering the series I'd reread my favorite novels from it over and over again, and watch the movies all the time as well. I feel like I was different from you in that I didn't force myself to reread the books (I did think about it, though!) but I definitely acted as though I liked it more than I did. The only thing that really strongly remains from my HP phase is my love for Slytherin haha. I still have a Slytherin t-shirt. Also, it's a challenge to look at HP the same way when Rowling turned out to be so... disappointing. Her attitude, the things she said and did really make it hard to remember HP fondly.

    I do think letting go of old favorites is only natural, though. Like you said - we still have fond memories, but we don't love it the same way we used to. It's the same for me with Meg Cabot, who was my absolute favorite during my pre-teen and early teen years. I'm actually working on a post about losing love for a favorite author, IT'S HARD, esp. when you read around 40 books by someone like I did by Cabot.

    Great post, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronika! Wow, I cannot imagine reading 40 books by the same author! I think that can make it hard to let go. But, like you said, especially with how disappointing Rowling has been, I think it’s hard to really stand by her.

      Delete
  4. I completely understand this, Emily! I tend to get really obsessed with things for short periods of time and then I get really sick of them. For Harry Potter, I was sucked in with the rest of the book community but after reading the books and watching the movies and gazing longingly at all the themed candles and shirts, I became very burnt out very quickly. I'm like you, where if the movies come on, I probably won't watch them (unless it's one of the first four; those, for some reason, I can't shake my tepid love for).

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I could ever spend my money on HP merch anymore! None of it stands out to me. I do agree that the first four movies are my favourites. I never really liked how dark the other ones were.

      Delete