Wednesday 28 June 2017

A Study in Charlotte by: Britney Cavallaro

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Mystery
Published: March 1, 2016 by: Katherine Tegan Books
Pages: 321
Rating: 2/5 stars



Jamie Watson does not want to be at the prestigious Sherrington prep school, and he most certainly does not want to associate himself with Charlotte Holmes, also known as Sherlock Holmes' great-great-great granddaughter. When a fellow student is killed and Watson and Holmes are framed, Watson must join forces with the cunning girl he clashed with so that she can clear their names, and protect them from any danger that may be lurking.

All I can say about this book is: meh? Sherlock has never really interested me, but I thought a YA retelling with a female Holmes would be a lot more to my taste. I can say that this book still left me underwhelmed, and quite unattached. It seemed like I was reading the words, but not comprehending the story whatsoever.

I will say that I liked the characters in this book. I thought Holmes was a great protagonist, cunning an intelligent, and Watson was witty and adorable. I enjoyed their banter and thought it was a great addition to the otherwise quite boring plot.

I guess I wanted more action from this book? There was some, obviously it is a mystery, but nothing really got the book going for me and made me want to keep flipping. In the simplest of terms, I was bored from beginning to end and honestly didn't feel like I grasped any of the story. If you asked me to recite the plot back to you, I don't think I could. I didn't retain much from this.

Overall, if you liked Sherlock Holmes maybe you'd enjoy this more than I did. I think it's more suited towards hardcore mystery lovers, and people who have read Holmes before. For me, it missed the mark.

Have you read A Study in Charlotte? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't end up liking this one more! It's been sitting on my shelf so I'll probably get to it... eventually xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like it! I know a lot of people have :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I've seen a lot of people enjoying this but I haven't had much interest in reading this since I've never been into Sherlock. Sounds like it would be a decent read if you liked Sherlock. Shame this one wasn't for you, great review nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I would say if you don't like Sherlock, give this a pass. It's just too heavy on those elements.

      Delete
  3. Nice review, Emily! I actually really enjoyed A Study in Charlotte but I totally get your point. This Sherlock story reminded me of the BBC show so I was happy haha. But weren't the characters really good?! They were the best part tbh.

    Sorry this book didn't work out for you. Have a great weekend tho <3

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you were probably right in your element then! Thanks Anna, hope you have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes you & a book just don't click *shrugs* Move along, nothin' to see here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've felt slightly intrigued about this one, but the more reviews I read, the less excited I feel. Guess I'll just give this a pass- I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah idk. I guess it caters to a very specific audience that I'm not apart of.

      Delete
  6. I luuuuuuuv Sherlock, and I love the idea of a female Holmes. But I also hate boring books - I think I'd want more action as well. Although I do love the sound of the characters and gorgeous banter!
    Sorry this was a disappointing read for you Emily :( Great review, though.

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I think you may like it though! It would be worth a try if you're a fan of Sherlock :)

      Delete