Friday 15 July 2016

The Wrath and the Dawn by: Renee Adhieh

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy, Retelling
Published: May 12, 2012 by: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 388
Rating: 5/5 stars



For months, King Khalid of Khorasan has taken a bride from a family, only to kill her after one night. This dreadful fate happened to Shiza, the best friend of 16 year-old Shahrzad. Shazi vows to avenge her friend's death, by becoming a bride of Khalid, but killing him, before he kills her. Khalid soon becomes intrigued by Shahrzad, and night after night is too wrapped up in her enchanting stories to kill her. But what happens when Shazi starts falling for the murderous king? Will it be a betrayal of her friend, or could it unlock the secret to the reason behind his killings?

This book was fully and wholeheartedly one of the best books I've read in 2016! I was captivated by the Arabian culture, fully engrossed into the diverse characters, and the whole book seemed so magical and enchanting. This book was something so unique and yet also stays true to a classic retelling of A Thousand and One Arabian Nights.

You will fall in love with Shazi's character! She is fearless and strong, but also so beautiful inside and out. She has a very mystical persona to her, like you don't know how she's really going to react until you read. I loved how she was very unexpected.

This book seems like poetry in a sense. It is so descriptive, but in a very good way that allows you to really visualize a scene and feel like you're in it. This book really plays up the sensory imagery, but I think that's what captivated me even more to read it.

Let's not forget about a huge component of the book: the retelling. I have never read A Thousand and One Arabian Nights but this book gave me a great YA portrayal. It kept up with the Arabian stories and themes beautifully, and it felt like something out of Aladdin. I loved hearing Shazi's stories.

Overall, this was a beautifully diverse retelling that I think would capture the attention of anyone. Give it a go, it's great.

Have you read The Wrath and the Dawn? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow you must have really loved this book if you consider it one of the best you have read so far this year. Personally I hated this book... like a lot, but that was just me. I just really didn't care for the characters or plot, but maybe it's because this retelling just didn't sit well with me. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the retelling so to me this was a great starter to an unfamiliar story. Sorry you didn't like this :(

      Delete
  2. I read a review of this a while back by Olivia over @ Olivia's Catastrophe & added it to my TBR. You just made me want to read it even more! XD It sounds awesome.

    (Also - I'm on your favourite blogs list?!?! - I love you! XD )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think!! And of course you are!! I mean, why wouldn't you?! :D

      Delete
    2. Ha, yeah... I'm not going to answer that question, we'll be here all day ;)

      And if I ever get around to it I will (my TBR is trying to kill me. True story.) ;)

      Delete
  3. Yeah! I'm so glad you enjoyed this so much! <3 I didn't like it quite as much as you did, but I can definitely see why you loved it so much. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe!! The descriptiveness and the diction just really got to me I guess :)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh yessss- I totally agree with you about this one. I was head over heels in love with the author's writing when I first read this. Still think she's one of the best fantasy writers around :)) Looking forward to seeing what you think of the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way she writes fantasy! Unfortunately I didn't like the sequel all as much, but I liked the ending :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that you loved this! I met the author around a month or two back and have really wanted to read her book since. I'm just trying to make the time for it. I haven't read a retelling of A Thousand and One Arabian Nights either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! That's so cool that you met the author!

      Delete