Friday 4 September 2015

Wonder by: R.J. Palacio

Genre: Young Adult/Middle Grade Realistic Fiction
Published: January 3, 2013 by: Corgi Childrens
Pages: 315
Rating: 5/5 stars


August Pullman has always been different. He acts the same as everyone else, but he is labelled an outcast because of a rare genetic condition that has left him with facial abnormality. When August finally gets to go to a normal school, he is faced with ignorant bullies, thoughtful friends, and a whole new adventure to ordinary that he never thought was possible.

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!! This book was inspiring, it was funny, it was thoughtful and it truly was wonderful. What I loved about this book is that I think it could be read by anyone. It is labelled as a children's book, but anyone could be captivated. It could teach everyone a little something about acceptance.

The first thing that really drew me into the book was the point of views. The book is told from alternating perspectives from the people who have all been affected by August in some way. We get to see everyone's views on August, and it was amazing to see the contrast in the characters. All of the characters were strong and amazingly written, especially August. I enjoyed his story so much.

This book was so simple and yet so captivating. Each chapter left me wanting to read more, and everything was so heartwarming. I think that anyone, young or old, could take something away from reading this book just because it was so versatile. It is in a category all on it's own.

Overall, this book had amazing morals and realistic characters that will capture your heart. I feel like children could learn about inclusivitey from it, and adults can get a better mindset on what it means to be "ordinary". Although, this book was nothing like ordinary, it was magical.

Have you read Wonder? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed Wonder. When I started the book I had no idea it was going to be from alternating point of views but I'm so glad it was written this way because all the different narrators gave something important and unforgettable to the story. I loved the characters, and I was especially fond of August's family. Talk about supporting and loving parents. All in all, definitely one of the best standalone I've ever read.
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the alternating points of views either and I was so impressed on how it all turned out. Thanks Veronika!

      Delete
  2. I'm interested in reading this, too! It's great that you enjoyed reading it so much, I love it when I come across a book that ends up being awesome. :) Your review only makes me want to read this book more!
    Also, I want to let you know that I finally did the Desserts Book Tag that you tagged me for. It's on my blog now. :) I'm sorry that it took me a while to respond! But anyway, thanks for tagging me. I'm excited to read what you write next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you did the tag, your answers were awesome! And I would highly recommend this book :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, the POVs! The differents perspectives are SO AWESOMELY DIFFERENT. it annoyed me at first, the way Olivia's boyfriend's sections were written, but I grew used to it. So glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a unique concept that I thought added an amazing touch to the storyline!

      Delete