Saturday 6 September 2014

Birthmarked by: Caragh M. O'Brien

Genre: Young Adult Fiction,Adventure,Dystopia

Birthmarked tells the story of sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone, and her quest to find out the secrets of her parents' strange disappearance. In this post-apocalyptic world, the people are separated into two worlds. Those who live inside the walled town, or "The Enclave", are perfect. They work good jobs, wear nice clothes and are taken care of. Those who live outside The Enclave are the outcasts. These people are the ones with "imperfections". They are poor, and have to work very hard to make ends meet. Gaia lives outside The Enclave, because of a scar she has on her cheek. This scar means that Gaia and her family must not enter The Enclave. Gaia works as a midwife, delivering perfect babies to The Enclave, to be brought up by adopted parents. The babies are taken from their "imperfect" parents outside the wall, and brought inside the wall. If they do have "imperfections", they must live with their birth parents. Gaia finishes delivering a baby, but soon finds her parents to be missing. Another midwife tells her that her parents have been arrested by The Enclave, but that her mother left her a note. Gaia takes the note, and is soon entered into a quest to find the truth behind The Enclave's evil ways.

I really enjoyed this book. This book was suspenseful and interesting, with surprising twists. I love books with plot twists, and this was definitely one of them. The book really made me think. The clues that Gaia uncovers throughout the book, made me want to try to figure them out as well.

I liked this book because it was a different take on Dystopia. I have never read a dystopian book quite like this one before. The plot was unlike any other book I have ever read. It was different because it contained quite more mystery than most other dystopian books. This book wasn't only based on romance and adventure, but instead brought forth more clue-solving.  The only complaint I have about this book is that I wish it contained a bit more information. What I mean by this is, some parts were hard to understand, and in a book with a lot of clue-solving, I found that parts of the book were left with no explanation. I had to read parts over again because I didn't understand what was going on. However, it still was very good.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 5 stars, for a unique plot, but a few confusing parts.


Bye for Now!
Paperback Princess


No comments:

Post a Comment