Friday 5 January 2024

Looking Back on 2023

It's been a hot minute!! I'm really sorry for dropping off the face of the earth. As I mentioned in the summer, I moved to a new city to complete a new university program. The fall term went by so fast that I barely had time for any blogging at all. To be honest, this post is just to confirm that I am in fact alive, but with winter term coming up in a few days as well, I doubt that my blogging habits will become any more consistent. But, I still want to recap what went down in 2023 and insist that I am definitely not shutting down the blog, but will just need some time to get back on track. 

What I Read 

My reading was all over the place this year, but in a good way. I read a bunch of comic books and graphic novels, some YA, a whole lot of romance, and a lot of books focused on Indigenous Literatures for my program. I noticed this year that I really did branch out from my usual focus in YA and I started to read more adult fiction. I'm not surprised by this change. I am now in my mid-20's and so I find myself wanting to read about characters who I can relate to a bit more. But I definitely do still have room in my heart for whatever Rick Riordan puts out! 

It's difficult to pinpoint what my favourite book of the year was. I read 111 books and my goal was to read 100. A few special shoutouts go to Educated by Tara Westover: an AMAZING memoir, Halfbreed by Maria Campbell: also a memoir, from a Metis author, and Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich: an adult dystopia. Non-fiction may have been a standout genre for me last year, alongside my normal love for post-apocalyptic texts. 

I set my Goodreads goal this year for my usual 100, and I'll just take reading as it comes. I don't have any other real wishes for my reading other than hoping I get to read a lot of wins and that I continue to read diversely. 

What I Blogged 

In 2023 I finally changed up my blog design, implementing some new logos courtesy of Canva. This was a long time coming, but I finally feel more content with how my blog looks. 

My blogging was consistent until it wasn't. However, I am happy that I got to review a bunch of books, but also at times just talk about what was on my mind. This blog isn't really just a book blog anymore, rather a space to reflect. I hope to do more reflections in 2024. 

Special Shoutouts 

I want to take some time to shoutout some bloggers I loved reading from in 2023, including some old blog buddies and new finds: 

Cee @ Dora Reads 

Roberta @ Offbeat YA 

Lissa @ Postcards from the Bookstore 

Greg @ Greg's Book Haven 

Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess 

All of these bloggers are amazing at their craft, and if you haven't already, you should check them out in 2024. 

Life Stuff 

2023 was a life changing year. I decided I wanted to go back to school, I moved, and I got to participate in a lot of amazing opportunities in my field. But the year wasn't without challenges. I had many panic attacks along the way. I struggled with my mental illness. I questioned things a lot. I don't want to put pressure on myself to have a "better" year because I know that pressure often backfires on me. But I do want to applaud myself for making the life changes that I did make and I want to continue to do the things I enjoy doing this year. That's all that really matters. 

So, that was my 2023! I wish you all a Happy New Year and I hope to see you again soon. If you're comfortable, I'd love to know how your year went and if you have any goals (reading or otherwise) for 2024. 

Emily @ Paperback Princess

8 comments:

  1. "This blog isn't really just a book blog anymore, rather a space to reflect. I hope to do more reflections in 2024."
    Your reflections are always thought-provoking and very welcome!

    Aw, I didn't expect a shout-out...thank you so much! I'm also glad to see some friends on that list.

    I'm proud of you for being able to make some huge life changes despite your problems. I think if you did all that, you can do everything you set your sights on - only at your own pace. I hope your 2024 will see more successes on your parts...or better, I'm sure it will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roberta! I also wish you a hopefully less chaotic 2024 :)

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed with your 111 books read, I barely read this year. I'm not much of a fan of non-fiction but once in a while, I do try to read them.

    My 2023 wasn't bad but it could have been better. Like you, I prefer not to put pressure on myself to do better this year or any year. I think if we survive or overcome anything that scares us or stresses us out, it's a sign we are doing well.

    Thanks for the shout out. I hope you have a lovely new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a sign that we're doing alright if we simply just survive. Happy new year!

      Delete
  3. Sorry the year was stressful, but I'm glad that you got through it and I do hope 2024 is kinder to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooo!!!! Em!!!!! You're awesome & I'm proud of you, OK?

    Thanks so much for the shout-out - you're the sweetest!!!

    And well done for reading so much! I read a tiny fraction of what I usually do in 2023, which is usually a good indicator that my year did not go well (*nervous laughter*)

    Keep rocking Em! <3

    ReplyDelete