Wednesday 1 March 2023

Month in Review: February

I am so happy we're in the month of spring. February was rough weather-wise, and just a few days ago I had such a stressful time driving home because of a massive snowstorm. I do not like this weather and am looking forward to a change. Anyways, here's the good stuff that happened this month: 

What I Read: 

I'm Glad My Mom Died by: Jennette McCurdy: 5/5 stars 

Braiding Sweetgrass by: Robin Wall Kimmerer: 4.5/5 stars 

Hunting by Stars by: Cherie Dimaline: 5/5 stars 

Astrid Parker Doesn't Fail by: Ashley Herring Blake: 3/5 stars 

The Theban Plays by: Sophocles: 4/5 stars 

Obasan by: Joy Kogawa: 3/5 stars 

Favourite Book: I was so excited to finally be able to get my hands on a copy of I'm Glad My Mom Died by: Jennette McCurdy. I've read nothing but positive reviews about this book, and as someone who grew up watching McCurdy on tv, this text really provided some shocking but important insights into the toxic culture of growing up on tv. McCurdy is a fantastic writer and I hope she continues to write more. 

What I Blogged: 

I really enjoyed writing my post about Performative Reading. I like when the inspiration to write a book comes from outside of the bookish world, and the inspiration from this post came from a really important talk I attended. The insights people provided in the comments were also very helpful, and I definitely want to continue this conversation. 

Favourite Blog Posts of the Month: 

Kit reveals Why They Like Redemption Arcs 

Cait talks 2023 Book Releases You Need to Read 

Lissa shares Meet-Cutes and "Meet-Awkwards" From Books 

Life Stuff: 

The big and good news from this month is that I got into my PhD program! It was such a coincidence how I found out as I got the email while talking about acceptance letters with a friend, but I am so unbelievably happy. Now comes the hard and not so fun stuff of budgeting, finding a place to live, figuring it all out, etc. But for now I can celebrate, which is good :) 

This month I am looking forward to some birthday celebrations and eating lots of Easter chocolate. With some work as usual sprinkled in as well. 

That was my February? How was yours? 

Emily @ Paperback Princess

8 comments:

  1. "I got into my PhD program!"
    How exciting! Though I was sure you would, because you're bright and you work hard. You deserve all the chocolate now 😉.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not liking the weather either but what can you do? But at least, there is always some sunny day to look forward to.

    Congratulations on getting into your PhD program. I don't know much about such things but I hope you things will work out really well for you.

    There's no need to have an excuse to have chocolate but having one is nice. Thanks for linking one of my post.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!!

    Easter chocolates sound pretty good :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the PHD programme Em!!!! Woooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete