Tuesday 4 October 2022

Month in Review: September

This past month brought...not many changes. In my previous Month in Review I talked about applying for jobs and keeping my fingers crossed, but there hasn't been much movement on that front at all. Applications are very difficult, but I'm staying positive. Here's what happened in September: 

What I Read: 

Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead by: Elle Cosimano: 4/5 stars 

The Prince and the Dressmaker by: Jen Wang: 5/5 stars 

Eve's Return by: Crystal Bourque: 4/5 stars 

Dancing with the Octopus by: Debora Harding: 5/5 stars 

Catch and Kill by: Ronan Farrow: 5/5 stars 

Our Voice of Fire by: Brandi Morin: 4/5 stars 

Favourite book of the month: Dancing with the Octopus by: Debora Harding surprised me. I picked it up on a whim from the library, not knowing much about it, and now I need everyone to read it. It was a fabulous memoir about a woman who was kidnapped as a teen, and how she dealt with PTSD and learning more about her family as she grew up. I think with all of the true crime "hype" in the world right now, more people should be turning to books like this instead of the more sensationalized media. 

What I Blogged:

My favourite post of the month was my discussion on Burning Out. I think burn-out culture is something that I never really paid attention to until it happened to me, and I was really proud of myself for admitting that I burnt out and reflecting on how to help it not happen again. 

Around the Blogisphere: 

Noel shares the Journal of a Tired Indie Writer 

Roberta asks if you Interact with Authors on Social Media 

Nicole lists books with Stunning Typography 

Life Stuff: 

Like I said before, September really didn't do much for me. While I'm still actively looking for jobs, I haven't really heard much back from anyone, which is disappointing, but also a sign of the times we're in. There's steep competition pretty much everywhere, and I can't expect to hear back unless I'm successful. I'll keep trying to put myself out there, and see how it goes. 

In fun stuff, I did start engaging in fun fall activities like apple picking and beginning to watch Halloween movies. October is such a fun month and I'm looking forward to getting some more baking done too. 

Playoff baseball starts this month, and this house is buzzing with excitement for the Toronto Blue Jays. Here's hoping they can pull out a win in the first round! 

So, that was my month. A little uneventful, but with some fun things sprinkled in. How was yours? 

Emily @ Paperback Princess



6 comments:

  1. Well done on keeping applying and everything! Just doing that can be pretty damned exhausting.

    Also yay for fun stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee! It is exhausting, but I feel accomplished.

      Delete
  2. September was kind of meh for me too. Good luck with the job search- it it tough. I love October too and am stating to get into some spooky reads and shows as well...

    Good luck Blue Jays!

    Oh I thought I commented on your last post but it looks like it went missing. I've been having that trouble some lately. Hope this one goes through :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Greg! I don't see your comment on my previous post in my approved folder so it must've gotten lost in the shuffle. Glad this went through though! :) The Blue Jays didn't make it past the first round, they got swept after two games, so looks like the playoff hype was extremely short lived.

      Delete
  3. I thought I commented so forgive me if this is a duplicate!! I love October too and am loving all the seasonal things- although I don't even have pumpkins yet! Gah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have pumpkins yet either but did decorate for Halloween today!

      Delete