Thursday 30 December 2021

Vampires, Hearts and Other Dead Things by: Margie Fuston

 CW: terminal illness of a parent/death of a parent, blood/body gore 

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy 

Published: August 24, 2021 by Margaret K. McElderry Books 

Pages: 320 

Rating: 4/5 stars 



Victoria and her father have always loved vampires, and they long for the day when they can find one together. However, her father has terminal cancer, and Victoria knows that if she wants her father to meet a vampire, she needs to find one herself who can make her a vampire so that she can save her dad. With her best friend, Victoria travels to New Orleans where she meets a mysterious man named Nicholas, who vows to deliver on Victoria's wish. However, Victoria must complete a series of tasks before Nicholas is willing to make her live forever, and these tasks will test what Victoria thought she knew about her and her father's greatest interest. 

I love vampire tropes. Whether it's a cheesy supernatural romance, a dramatic tv show, or an old novel, I absolutely cannot get enough of vampire mythology. So, this premise caught my eye. I thought that the idea of combining vampire mythology with the real-life conflict of illness and losing a parent could be fascinating. This book did not disappoint, and it delivered on some interesting themes and characterization. 

First off, I was hoping that this novel would give me some references to vampire moments in pop culture that I love, and it definitely did so. I wanted to hear Victoria and her father's opinions on Buffy, Twilight, Anne Rice, and of course, Dracula. I thought that Fuston did a great job at integrating these famous tropes while also showing Victoria's own unique perceptions of vampire mythology. There are so many different variations of the vampire out there, so it was great that Fuston singled in on what Victoria and her father believed to be true. It made their interest appear all the more real. 

I thought this novel developed Victoria's character well. I was concerned at first that a teenage girl who truly believes in vampires would annoy me, as her character may appear naïve. However, Victoria has so much knowledge in vampires that her interest was very believable. Also, I could understand how her love for her father drove her decisions. Even if it could have gotten her into danger, she was willing to do anything to help her father, and I could respect that. 

I didn't really love the character of Nicholas. I thought he wasn't as developed as Victoria, and he was extremely unlikable to the point where I wondered if he was more of a villain, even though he isn't written to be. I think people who write vampire stories could do better to make the vampire characters, particularly male vampire characters, more likable. Often, they come across as patriarchal, which isn't a good look. I need more soft and sweet vampires in the vampire world. 

Overall, I did enjoy this! I thought the ending was satisfying and the themes were well executed. It was a good addition to my vampire collection, though I would like to see more variety in terms of writing vampire characters. 

Have you read Vampires, Hearts and Other Dead Things? What did you think? 

Emily @ Paperback Princess

13 comments:

  1. "I think people who write vampire stories could do better to make the vampire characters, particularly male vampire characters, more likable. Often, they come across as patriarchal, which isn't a good look."
    I'm not what you would call a fan of the vampire trope, but I hear you. Probably it's because the have lived a very long life, but why is it always the men who behave in a certain way? Speaking of which, the only two series with vampires in them I've read and loved/liked for their uniqueness are these:
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/53320-thirst
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/45374-wvmp-radio

    This one sounds unique enough too, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out these two series, Roberta! I think the fact that these vampires are old-school definitely influences why they are the way that they are, but if they're living in the modern world, then I don't see why they can't change.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review Emily! I’m glad to see that you thought Victoria’s character was done well! I would have assumed she would be annoying as well, so it’s nice to know that wasn’t the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabrina! I think it's important when reading YA to realize that teens are at the end of the day, teens. They're gonna make different decisions and have a different point of view. I probably would have been similar lol.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that is so true!

      Delete
  3. I do love this premise. Seeking out a vampire to counter a terminal illness... yes please. There ARE so many different takes on vamps out there, and this sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was a good one! I hadn't really experienced a book like this before, so I'm glad I gave it a go.

      Delete
  4. 'Victoria and her father have always loved vampires, and they long for the day when they can find one together.' - I mean, doesn't everyone? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I would assume so! Although maybe some folks would prefer to stay far away from the supernatural.

      Delete
  5. I love that the characters discussed all the classic vampires and tropes. I would find that fun as well.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a vampire fan, I would definitely recommend this book!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this book before but the premise sounds really compelling. I love books that can walk the line of realistic/more personal elements (like the relationship between Victoria and her father) and fantastical elements (a last request to find vampires)!! I don't have much experience with vampire literature but would be interested in hearing your recommendations for them (esp Anne Rice - -have heard such great things about those books).

    Hope you had a wonderful new year :)

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a really compelling book! In terms of recommendations, to get started, I would read Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. She really is a pinnacle of vampire literature and is so important to the genre. I was saddened by her death recently. I would also read Carmilla, the novella by Sheridan Le Fanu. It's a gothic story that is also sapphic, which I think is pretty cool given the time it is written in. While some themes are outdated, I find it a very good jumping off point.

      Delete