Friday 2 July 2021

Month in Review: June






It's very hot up here in Canada right now. Not that I'm complaining. I love the warm weather and everything about summer. However I also understand that this weather is not for everyone, so I hope you all stay cool if you're in a hot climate right now as well! This is what my June looked like: 

What I Read: 

Love After The End edited by Joshua Whitehead: 4/5 stars 

Born A Crime by Trevor Noah: 4/5 stars 

Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Talaga: 5/5 stars 

Kate In Waiting by Becky Albertalli: 5/5 stars 

People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry: 4/5 stars 

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston: 4.5/5 stars 

Meet Cute Diary by Emery Lee: 4/5 stars 

Jay's Gay Agenda by Jason June: 4/5 stars 

Favourite Book: Seven Fallen Feathers was an emotional but important non-fiction novel about the epidemic of Indigenous children and teens going missing in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The book has elements of a crime book while still being extremely sensitive to the victims and their families. The author is also Indigenous, so this book truly comes from a place of respect. While it's a very hard read, it's also extremely necessary especially considering the things coming up in Canadian news as of recent. 

What I Blogged: 

I really enjoyed my post about The Fetishization Of M/M Romance And Representation That I Need To Read More Of. I am really passionate about that subject matter so it was good to get some frustrations off my chest, and receive some great tips from fellow readers! 

Favourite Blog Posts Of The Month: 

Simone says: "Please Don't Assume That I Need Healing" 

Nicole talks about The Joys Of Verse Novels 

Cee discusses the film Jojo Rabbit: The Bittersweet Tale of Captain K

Life Stuff: 

This month was very busy! I continued to freelance write, which got me through the beginning and middle of the month, but by the end of the month, my manager called me back to work at my in-person job. Ontario has been in lockdown since December, but vaccine rollout has gotten better, so the government decided it was okay for retail stores to open up again. Now I'm doing freelance stuff on the side, while also working a couple times a week in-person. While seeing strangers again is always worrying, I'm glad to get back into a normal routine. 

In other great news, I am now fully vaccinated! I am so happy that me and my entire family have put the vaccination stress behind us. It's a huge weight off of our shoulders. If you can, please go get the shot! 

I watched Loki this month, and I am absolutely loving it. It's such a complex, unique show and I never knew how much I loved Loki until watching it. Now I look forward to every Wednesday when it comes out. I can't believe season one will be over soon :( 

This July, I will continue to work, and also try to do my part to raise more awareness on issues that Indigenous populations face. As July 1st marks Canada Day, I am thinking a lot more critically on the problems with this country and why it's crucial that the world doesn't write Canada off as being "better than the US." I also hope that people will think about how capitalism exploits issues like this, so that we can decide how to ethically support marginalized communities. For more information on the capitalization of Indigenous issues, visit this link 

So, that was my June. Very busy, but also very hopeful for a better future. How was your June? 

Emily @ Paperback Princess




6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the link Em! You rock! <3

    And congrats (if that's the right word? I don't know!) on getting fully vaccinated - I got my appointment for my 2nd vaccination coming up... I really need to make sure we buy ice-cream for after - bribing myself is uber-important! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats is totally the right word! I think getting fully vaccinated is such an accomplishment. And kudos to you for doing your part despite your fear. That ice cream is well deserved! :)

      Delete
  2. "However I also understand that this weather is not for everyone"
    *raises hand*
    LOL.

    I'm loving all your posts Emily. You're passionate about things that people need to be more aware of, and you're doing a great job with articulating your thoughts about them! Also, yay for being fully vaccinated! My second shot is scheduled for the 26th, and I hope it won't be worse than my first (my arm hurt a lot, but briefly). Good luck with your jobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen your struggles with the heat, and in Italy too, it's probably ten times worse than the heat we get here! Hope you're taking care of yourself, Roberta!

      And aw, that's so nice of you to say. I'm glad you enjoy my posts as much as I enjoy writing them. Good luck with your second shot. I'm sure you'll feel so much better after you're vaccinated :)

      Delete
  3. It got really hot here too the last few days after being super mild and nice! I'm enjoying the summer temps though. Congrats on the freelance writing! And I really need to start Loki...

    Thanks too for talking about indigenous issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki is so good! Can't recommend it enough.

      Thanks Greg!

      Delete