One things is for certain, and that is that I have a love-hate relationship with romance novels. I can deal with adventure books with romance weaved in, but straight up romance can either go really well, or really bad. Here are five things that I like about romance books, and five things that I dislike about romance books:
1. It's so damn cute! Romance can just make me so happy and put me in a great mood! It can be a great pick-me-up.
2. Amazing characters. Romance can really make a character so incredibly adorable. I could fall in love with a character from the way they treat their significant other.
3. Very strong plots. A romantic storyline can add great emotion to plots.
4. Love advice. Romance is obviously very realistic, so I think that it could be relatable and even give advice to many people in the same situations.
5. The quotes. This one may seem odd, but I love the beautiful quotes that come out of romance novels. They're really inspirational.
1. Boring females. Some females in romance novels can be portrayed to be damsels in distress who can't survive without their partner. WOMEN ARE STRONG AND INDEPENDENT. WE DON'T NEED THE CONSTANT HELP OF A MAN.
2. Love triangles. Love triangles in my opinion are really cheesy and predictable. Plus, my favourite character never wins.
3. Impulsiveness. Sometimes lovers can be overly impulsive and just plain dumb. Firstly, love at first sight is extremely unrealistic, and some lovers make decisions without thinking first. e.g. Romeo and Juliet.
4. Cheesy couples. Romance can be very cheesy. There's a fine line between being cute and being annoying.
5. Predictability. The plots in romance books can also be very boring and predictable. We all know who the character is going to end up with, and there's no action to the plot.
So that's my rant about romance books! What do you like/dislike about them?
Emily @ Paperback Princess