Friday 18 December 2015

Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by: Tahereh Mafi

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopia
Published: February 5, 2013 by: HarperCollins
Pages: 461
Rating: 5/5 stars
*highlight white text to reveal minor spoilers*


Unravel Me is the sequel to Shatter Me, a story about tortured teen Juliette, as she escapes the corrupt Reestablishment in search of a revolution against the man who terrorized her. Juliette contains a gift, or more like a curse, that allows her touch to be lethal. As Juliette joins the rebellion, she must face coming to terms with her love Adam, and new love Warner, which pushes Juliette to put her trust to the test. 

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS AT ALL. I had some troubles with Shatter Me, I found it to be kind of a let down. Ironically, a girl at my school who has read the entire series told me to keep going, as it would get better. AND LET ME JUST SAY THAT SHE WAS RIGHT! This book was suspenseful, cunning, romantic, and one big thrill-ride! I'm glad I put my trust in the sequel.

 I don't know why, but this book was just so much more interesting! We get to see Juliette in a form like never before, where she is more stable and aware of her actions. I loved how Mafi this time didn't include too many repetitive words; (that drove me insane) and instead gave a more developed character. I loved the introduction of new characters; (Kenji being my favourite) and I even grew a soft spot for Warner; (and began to hate Adam's guts). Overall the character development in this book was INSANE.

I loved how this book did a love triangle, but in a good way. The romance was descriptive but not cheesy, and I actually enjoyed reading about the romantic conflicts. I found this love triangle to be done a lot better than in the first book, and I feel as if the characters had a lot more chemistry with each other. WILL SHE PICK ADAM? WILL SHE PICK WARNER? I DON'T KNOW!!

Basically, I would say that even if you didn't like the first book, you should still give it a try. I found it a lot more organized and put-together than the first, and I also really liked the romance, which is weird for me because love triangles aren't normally my forte. It almost seems like this book put me under a spell.

So give it a go!!! I'm so happy that I went along with reading this book because it proved to me for the first time that sometimes you can't just give up on a series.

Have you read Unravel Me? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

13 comments:

  1. Ahaa! I love this series, but I honestly can't remember much about it! XD But from what I DO remember, I totally agree with you! Kenji is so adorable!! He's definitely my favourite character. I actually remained adamant about hating Warner until the last book, though. I hated his guts. But at the point that ADAM was being totally insufferable, I totally jumped ship. I LOOVED the action in this book, and you should definitely finish the series, especially if you love Warner! Ignite Me is so steamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for some reason, I just COULD NOT STAND Adam in this book. He was too overprotective and aggressive. I can't wait to finish the series!!

      Delete
  2. I haven't got down to read this series, but I want to so much! I'll try to schedule my reading more so that I can read it :)

    Aeriko @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! The first book was slow for me, but woah did the series pick up!

      Delete
  3. This review, preach! I agree with you so much. The second book is way better than the first book. The second book is actually my favorite one in the series. So much character development happens in it and I just love the writing. I never knew how much opinion of a character could flip so much in such a short time. And Kenji, AHHH he's my baby, I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book will be my favourite from the series! Kenji is a little cutie.

      Delete
  4. CHAPTER 62 THOUGH.
    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Of course that's not all) So glad you liked this as much as I did Emily! I found it was such a stronger novel than Shatter Me and it was evident how much Tahereh grew as an author between those two novels. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

      Delete
    2. Thanks Zoe! I agree, she really evolved into an amazing author. AND THAT CHAPTER GOT ME MESSED UP!

      Delete
  5. I also began to dislike Adam and to LIKE Warner in this novel! Which I never thought would happen when I read the first one. And KENJI! He is so hilarious and probably one of the best characters. Ignite Me is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Ignite Me and I was so satisfied with the ending! It really surprised me how much I developed in liking/disliking characters.

      Delete
  6. I DNF'd this back in 2014 but only because I was so over Adam and Juliette's relationship. They were constantly sucking face and being so damn dramatic, and I couldn't take it anymore haha. I do plan on picking the series back up and continuing, because everyone seems to love it, and I don't want to be left out anymore lol. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATED Adam and Juliette together and almost dnf'ed the series. However this book was a lovely change and renewed my love for it. Hope you can enjoy it too Tika!

      Delete