Friday 4 December 2015

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by: Patrick Ness

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy, Contemporary
Published: August 27, 2015 by: Walker Books
Pages: 352
Rating: 5/5 stars



For high school senior Mikey, his school blowing up is nothing out of the ordinary. That's because there are the indie kids, the chosen ones, the ones who have to save the world from ultimate destruction and are constantly getting into trouble. But for Mikey, he's always been in the background of the madness, just trying to get through life and ask out his long time crush Henna, before she gets taken by someone else. In this unique and inspiring twist to a fantasy novel, we get a glimpse into the lives of the normal kids. The kid's who are usually left in the shadows of the heroes.

This book was probably one of the most unique book I have ever read. I don't know how Ness came up with the concept, but it was cool and funny and nothing like I had ever read before. It had a relatable aspect to it as well, and it proved an amazing message that we are all special in our own way.

The characters in this book were full of flaws, and that's what made this book so amazing! They were average kids; not wizards or werewolves or aliens. It was truly amazing to be able to get to know each of the character's personality types, and each one had their own unique characteristics. Despite the fact that this is ultimately a fantasy novel, these characters were relatable and I could really connect to them. They were perfection in their own flawful way.

I loved how this book had quite a light tone to it, despite the fact that drama is constantly around the corner. It had a very humorous approach, which is not like many fantasy novels, and I think it really added to the mood. I loved how comic relief was weaved into more dramatic parts, and I didn't find this book heavy to read at all. It was so easy to get through.

This book was kept interesting and descriptive without being long and dragging. I think that the idea to focus on the normal kids really worked in Ness' favour, as it took no time at all for me; who can a lot of the times not get into fantasy books, to be fully engrossed and entertained. This book dragged me out of a growing slump and I'm so happy that I chose it.

Overall, if you love fantasy books, or even hate fantasy books, give it a try! There's something for everyone, and I think that this book would be a great read for any teen who feels invisible to the people around them.

Have you read The Rest of Us Just Live Here? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess


12 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I might just have to buy this. I've passed it a lot at the bookstore and have thought about buying it but I didn't know a lot about what others thought about it to justify buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really quite good, nothing that you'd expect to see from a fantasy :)

      Delete
  2. So glad you liked this so much Emily! I completely agree - it was such a unique and one-of-a-kind story. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! It was unlike anything I've ever read :)

      Delete
  3. Looks interesting! I loved the Chaos Walking trilogy, so might give this one a go too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Chaos walking trilogy, but if it's anything like this, I'll add it to me TBR!

      Delete
    2. It's scarily amazing - a bunch of humans on an alien planet, kind of with a wild west vibe; the men's thoughts are literally broadcast to everyone around them through their 'noise,' - and then there's romance and war and dystopia and... well, it's pretty epic tbh :)

      Delete
    3. Ooooh, I might just give it a try then!

      Delete
  4. AHHH I NEED TO READ MORE PATRCIK NESS!! After A Monster Calls completely DESTROYED me, I really need to read this! I love unique stories, too, and you just made me more excited for this1 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must!! I haven't read A Monster Calls yet, but I MUST get to it! His style of writing is out of this world :)

      Delete
  5. I bought this book not long ago when I was in Vienna, and I absolutely can't wait to dive into it! I'm quite positive I'll enjoy it, because a) it sounds awesome AF, and b) I've already seen what an amazing novel Ness can create in A Monster Calls - pick it up already, btw!
    Great review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually at the bookstore today and had A Monster Calls in my hand before putting it down and picking up another! It seriously needs to become more of a priority for me. Hope you enjoy this one!

      Delete