Wednesday 23 December 2015

Christmassy Traditions!


I wanted to do a Christmas post to get into the spirit of the season, and I also wanted to try to keep it not bookish related. Maybe this is just because I am a curious person, but I love reading about other people's traditions so I hope that some might be interested in reading about mine!

Christmas will always be my favourite time of year, not only because of the festive cheer, but also because my birthday is so close to it; December 19! I get off school the week before Christmas, and the countdown begins! Normally the day we get off my sister and I will watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with our family, and let me just say that this is a STAPLE  in my house! It is the funniest Christmas movie ever!


Next comes my birthday, which I usually prefer a quiet celebration with my closest family. I've never really liked when all of the attention is on me. My mom makes my all-time favourite dessert which is Jello, (very random and weird) and my twin gets a proper cake. If you can't tell, we are polar opposites. This is sort of the kick-off to Christmas week in my house!

On around December 20-21, my family and I drive to Downtown Toronto to see the Christmas Markets in the Distillery district, as well as look at the Christmas windows in the Hudson's Bay centre and we go skating in Nathan Phillip's square! These places are so beautifully decorated, and reminds me so much of Christmas in New York that you see in the movies, only with a Canadian twist!



Then comes Christmas Eve. This is a time dedicated to my father's family, which is Italian. An Italian Christmas tradition is that you do not eat meat for Christmas dinner, only fish, so my mom makes a medley of seafood and pasta! We go to church, eat, exchange presents, and enjoy each others company.

Next is the glorious Christmas Day! My family and I open presents at home, and then we go over to my grandma's for brunch with my cousins. We spend the entire day there, get dressed up fancy in the evening and have a traditional Christmas dinner of turkey. It is truly a LONG day of celebration!

The days after are just a whirlwind of various Christmas parties and mostly just visiting family members that we don't normally see. I have a huge family, and so it is important to be able to connect with them every once in a while, it's what Christmas is all about :)

And that's basically my Christmas week! It is jammed packed but I wouldn't change it for the world.

What are your Christmas or Holiday Traditions? I'd love to know if you celebrate other holidays, and what you get up to on these days! Please share!

I'd also like to extend a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all of you lovely bloggers! Friday is my usual post day, but I probably won't post on Christmas so I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you all! Hope you all have a lovely week with whatever you do :)

Emily @ Paperback Princess

12 comments:

  1. Awesome post :) I always wonder what people in different countries leave out for Santa (or, to give him his British title, Father Christmas,) since here it's normally something like brandy, along with a mince pie. Nadolig Llawen i ti (that's merry Christmas in Welsh!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I used to always leave out gingerbread and milk, and was always amazed to find it all gone in the morning! Merry Christmas to you too :)

      Delete
    2. well you know why it was gone in the morning (argh! he's been! *does small childish dance and twirl*) :)

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Emily and Happy Early Birthday! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you enjoy the holiday season. I love seafood! Sometimes my mom makes seafood instead of a traditional meal because she really isn't big on meat. My family usually watches a lot of holiday movies around this time and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sierra! My family isn't big on meat anyways, so the tradition is fitting! Hope you have a lovely Christmas:)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! Your Xmas sounds really lively and fun :) Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday Emily! It's great to hear about your traditions, they sound like they're awesome. :) I hope the rest of your Christmas season is wonderful, and enjoy the New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete