Wednesday 27 June 2018

The Scorpio Races by: Maggie Stiefvater

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Magic Realism
Published: October 18, 2011 by: Scholastic Press
Pages: 409
Rating: 3/5 stars



At the start of every November, the Scorpio Races happen on an elusive island, where the people are quiet and riders are resilient. Riders will attempt to tame fierce water horses all the way to the finish line. Many die, and the winner receives a cash prize. Sean is the returning champion, and he is determined to keep his father's legacy alive. Puck is entering the races for the first time, and not only is she the first girl to do so, but she is determined to win the money for her struggling family. Which one will prevail?

I have always loved Maggie Stiefvater's writing. All of her books are tied to magical realism, a genre that intrigues me so much. While I am absolutely obsessed with some of her other novels such as the Raven Cycle series, this book seemed to capture the essence of her writing, but wasn't necessarily my favourite.

I loved the feminism in this book. Puck is the main character, and she experiences harsh sexism and scrutiny throughout the book because riding in the Scorpio Races was always considered for men only. She was a very strong female lead, much like Stiefvater's other main characters, and I loved her.

I wasn't quite sold on the chemistry between her and Sean. I get it was supposed to be romantic, but I honestly didn't see much there between these two and it all seemed very forced. Their relationship needed to be developed more.

I think the concept of this book was interesting, but it didn't capture me as much as The Raven Cycle did. I found the plot to be kind of rushed at times and quite confusing. I wasn't exactly sold on it.

Overall, I think if you like Stiefvater's writing style, definitely give this book a go. It goes with her theme of magic realism, but I prefer some of her other books.

Have you read The Scorpio Races? What did you think?

11 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around, but I haven't read it. I haven't read any of Stiefvater's books and I really want to read the Raven Cycle before any of her other books. Thanks for sharing this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Raven Cycle is such an amazing series!! The characters are so well written and you will literally fall in love with them. I could not put that series down.

      Delete
  2. I've always been mildly curious about this series because it's Stiefvater after all- but never curious enough to actually pick it up and it seems like I'm not missing much! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s only one book but I think it would do better as a series tbh. It seemed too rushed and overall didn’t fit with Stiefvater’s other series.

      Delete
  3. I read the Scorpio Races a while ago and I remember really enjoying it which was such a surprise to me because I couldn't get through The Raven Boys. Hopefully I'll try again soon. Totally agree with you on Steifvater's writing, there's something so magical about it? Lovely review, loved hearing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! While I have opposite opinions I know a lot of people loved this book more. Hope you’ll give the Raven Cycle another shot!

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure why, but the returning champion being names Sean is amusing to me! ;) Maybe this heatwave we're having in the UK has gone to my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like we are on different opinion 90% of the time haha. But that's what makes reading your blog interesting. I really loved this when I read it years ago, and actually ADORED Sean and Puck together. Although, I do wonder what I would think about it today. Great review!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I actually love having different opinions with other bloggers! It makes for a great discussion. Glad you liked the book and Sean and Puck’s relationship :)

      Delete