Wednesday 19 July 2017

Half Blood (Covenant #1) by: Jennifer Armentrout

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Published: October 18, 2011 by: Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 281
Rating: 1/5 stars



Descendants of Hematoi fall into two categories: pure bloods, carry god-like powers like their two parents, and half-bloods, born to fight in battle, but not as powerful as the pure. Relationships between pure and half-bloods are strictly forbidden. Alexandria is a half-blood training at The Covenant to become a Sentinel, and she has a huge crush on Aiden, a pure-blood. But their relationship could put them both in grave danger, and threaten Alexandria's future.

I was extremely misguided by this book. It fell under the category of Greek mythology, so I was so pumped to read another YA adaption on one of my hugest interests. However what I got here, was absolutely no Greek mythology whatsoever and such a boring  plot.

I wanted to like this, I really did. So many of my blog buddies have raved about this book, and I was ready for some mythology that I thought I would enjoy. However there was little to no Greek mythology, nothing was was really recognizable to me at least, and instead so many fantasy elements that I found quite boring and unoriginal. I just had no connection to this book whatsoever :(

The plot went way over my head. I could care less about any of the characters, and was more focused on getting it done than actually being invested. I should have dnf'ed this when I could, because it just wasted so much of my time and was such a huge disappointment.

Maybe if you like more traditional fantasy, you would like this. But for me, mythological stuff is what I'm looking for and I just did not get that. And it's really quite a shame :(

Have you read Half-Blood? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

14 comments:

  1. I've read Half-Blood, and enjoyed it but didn't love it. I'm actually about to read the last book in the series! I thought that the series would improve as it went, but they've all been an okay read for me. The series does focus more on Greek mythology in the later books, but I don't think it's worth the time if you're looking for something based on Greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for continuing with the series! I definitely learnt quick that it's not the Greek mythology I was looking for :(

      Delete
  2. This sounds a bit.. "standard" (Don't want to offend anybody) But I'd rather spend my time with books I'm VERY EXCITED about.
    Maybe if my bookclub chose this as book of the month, or if anybody chose it as a buddyread.. But I won't pick this up myself pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely don't. It's nothing special and not worth spending money on!

      Delete
  3. When I first started to read JLA's novels I REALLY wanted to read this series, but I somehow lost interest along the way, which seems to be a good thing considering your review. I think what really turned me off was that a lot of people were saying that many aspects of the novel reminded them of Vampire Academy... I'm not saying it's a rip off, esp not having read it, buuuut yeah, I lost interest. Great review!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see how they would say that! I've read VA and it reminded me a lot of it now that I'm thinking of it. :(

      Delete
  4. Oh dear - sounds like another 'meh' at best! Oh well, on to the next one Em, on to the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they'll be a next one soon lol! I haven't read in ages :(

      Delete
  5. Sorry you didn't like it. This is actually one of my favorite series. The Greek mythology is a lot more present further on in the series. But Jennifer L. Armentrout's books aren't for everyone. Personally, I love her writing, and especially her characters, but like I said before her books aren't for everyone. If you are looking specifically for Greek mythology, this might not be the series for you, but as I said, the Greek mythology does amp up as the series continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of people have been telling me that it does get better. Idk, I don't think I'll continue. But I have enjoyed some of her other books, so that's good!

      Delete
  6. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like this one. How strange for it to be so badly miscategorized, too? I've read a couple books by Jennifer Armentrout but I wasn't impressed, either. You're right, her plots really aren't all that original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very strange! I had read one of her contemporaries and I liked it, but other than that her fantasies are a huge "meh" for me.

      Delete
  7. Aww... I'm sorry to see this was so disappointing. :( I can definitely see where you're coming from though. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete