Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Paperback's Pondering's: Books I Love to Hate


Do you ever get pride out of writing a negative review? It sounds like a weird concept, but honestly, there's some ounce of satisfaction I get when I get out my aggressions on a review. Sometimes I even look forward to writing a review for a book I hated. Maybe this is just the cynicism in me, but I can't be the only one who loves to hate books.

Now don't get me wrong, I would much rather love a book than hate it. And there is a lot more joy in me when I'm completely gushing over a book vs. when I'm bashing it. I'm just saying that when I really, deeply, truly hate a book, the review seems to come out a lot easier than when I'm loving it.

I don't know why I'm more articulate at expressing my negative emotions than my positive ones. It just seems like I can so easily rant about a crappy book, but if I have to write a 3-4 star review, I have to really think and plan out what I want to say. And honestly, it's a bit more boring for me.

I literally get bored writing positive reviews. It just seems like they happen more often than not that I'm always more excited to rant about something. This came across in my review a couple of weeks ago about A Court of Mist and Fury. People could tell that my thoughts were really out of character, because I was so bitter and to the point that I hated it. It was even weird for me to sound like that. But I loved that review! I loved writing it, and I'm proud of it! And I don't know why!

Really, I wouldn't consider myself a negative person. I do not get joy from hate, nor do I like hating books. I don't always hate books, but when I do, I love to write reviews. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

I thought I'd share some books that I love to hate. Now you might love these, you might hate these, but sometimes it's good to get these things off your chest:

1. The Throne of Glass series by: Sarah J. Maas.- These books were overly heavy, the main character was annoying as hell, and I was bored to tears.

2. A Court of Mist and Fury by: Sarah J. Maas- Just see my review.

3. The Last Boy and Girl in the World by: Siobhan Vivian- I actually had high hopes for this book and was let down in every way possible.

4. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by: Jesse Andrews- I really loved the movie adaption of this but I did not like the book at all! It was boring, tasteless, and the comedy was borderline insensisitve.

5. A Darker Shade of Magic by: V,E, Schwab- Don't even get me started on this one!! It was so boring and confusing that I practically dnf'ed because I wasn't even paying attention.

That's pretty much all of the books I've truly hated recently. See, not that much, right? Because at the end of the day, there are many more book than this that I absolutely loved, and that's the most important thing.

What books do you love to hate?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

14 comments:

  1. <3 I LOVE THIS. Keep smashing out the great posts!
    I totally agree though - it's like venting all your frustrations into a review! I know I agree with the SJM comments you made! I've yet to start ACOTAR, but oh my gosh, I liked Throne of Glass, and then everything just got /too/ high fantasy for me, and really confusing and overwhelming and boring, and I just needed to DNF. I wish I understood the hype, but I don't :(
    I think the latest book I really disliked was Down With The Shine - it felt like a trippy book with random spurts of magic and instalove drizzled throughout the book... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Geraldine lol! That's the same with me about ToG, once it got too heavy I had to dnf. But I really liked the first book! Instalove is such a bummer :(

      Delete
    2. It's so weird, because I actually started to like the ToG series more in the later books. I felt like the first book was like other YA fantasy books and I started to like it when the world and the magic started to get more complex.

      You have a lot of books in your list that I love or that I haven't read but I'm really anticipating. I'm sorry you didn't like them,but I totally understand why you love writing reviews of books you hated. I actually think it's relaxing to write reviews for books I hated.

      Great post!

      Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

      Delete
    3. It is kind of relaxing in a way! Yeah I was the opposite, the more complex the series got the more I hated it. I was anticipating some of these books too, but once I read them I was pretty let down :(

      Delete
  2. Great post :) But as much as I love to get my anger and "hatred" of a book out in a review, I often have to take a deep breath and try to stop myself from ranting...I try not to totally destroy the book because I don't think that's fair to the author - especially if my dislike is rather subjective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true! There is a limit in which I have to step back and make sure I'm being constructive and coherent. I don't want to come across as being rude.

      Delete
  3. Ha, I'm British, so my strongest insults start with things like 'this might be a bit...' 'perhaps it's...' and 'maybe it was...'

    I always try to find something good to say about a book though, even if I didn't like it. And even if I did like the book, I try to pay attention to the bad parts! I kind of think you have to explain things to people so that they can make their own decisions based on all the info :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that a lot too but recently I've just become a lot more blunt in my more hateful reviews. I try to find a positive side too, because honestly I don't rate many books 1 star often, but when I do, that usually means I hate everything in it!

      Delete
  4. AHHHHH, YESSSS TO NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!! Not to sound evil, but I love them so much more too! I talked about this sometime back on the blog, and I definitely stick to what I said- they can be extremely liberating and almost quite make up for the disappointment that was the book :D Looking back this past year, the books I love to hate would definitely be Dare Me by Megan Abbott and Anna and the French Kiss. I was so let down by the latter because I've only ever come across great stuff about it! Argh, Great post, Em! LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! The only good thing about reading a negative book is the review afterwards lol! I totally agree on Anna and the French Kiss. I had such high hopes but I was so disappointed. Thank you Ruzaika!!

      Delete
  5. I also love to hate a lot of books, but to be honest, those reviews are hard for me. I overthink what people are going to feel when they read it, so I hardly ever post bad reviews on my blog. They usually go to GoodReads, because I don't think a lot of people will read there. Also, when I hate a book, I have SO MUCH that I want to talk about that my reviews end up being huge bullet-point lists, hahah.
    Some of the books I love to hate: Me, Earl and the Dying Girl (me too! That book was so annoying. Ugh.), Isla and the Happily Ever After and A Thousand Pieces of You.
    Great post, Em! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be really self conscious of that but recently I've just realized that it's my opinion and so long as it's not offensive, I'm entitled to it. Totally agree with you on Isla, that entire series was really stupid.

      Delete
  6. I totally agree - negative reviews are so much easier to write! But then, and my English Literature tutors have told me this, it's much easier to write about and express negativity compared to positivity. That was one of the main reasons we did tragedy rather then comedy at college haha. Average reviews are so hard to write because they all end up sounding the same :/ I'm really pleased with my review for City of Heavenly Fire though :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English tutors are very right! Come to think of it, I have always studied tragedies too. Now I know why! Average reviews are so hard, and ALWAYS take the longest to do :(

      Delete