Friday, 25 November 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by: Sarah J. Maas

Genre: Young Adult/New Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Published: May 3, 2016 by: Bloomsbury
Pages: 640
Rating: 1/5 stars



Feyre has now been able to return to the Spring Court and embrace her life as a high fae. However, when Rhysand returns, reminding Feyre of the bargain she made with him to save Tamlin's life, Feyre becomes immersed into the Night Court, a court of dazzling glamour, but also some dangerous politics. Now Feyre is torn between the two courts, and with their feuding leaders, this could be dangerous for everyone.

Sarah J. Maas has done it again in getting me to love the first book in a series, only to continue and immediately hate it! I am just so done with her books.

This book was heavy, overly descriptive, and just downright annoying. The words were just going way over my head, they didn't make any sense to me and bored me to the point of almost dnfing. This book was WAY too long, and I know that's common with fantasies, but that just made my efforts to get through it even more miserable. Also, this series still does not remind me of a Beauty and the Beast retelling at all.

I hated the characters. Tamlin is a jerk, Rhysand is a creep (sorry not sorry) and Feyre needs to make up her damn mind. She's just so indecisive, ditzy and impulsive all the time. And I don't care what anyone says, the relationship between Rhysand and Feyre is just creepy and based on lust alone for me, and I don't see any chemistry between those two at all.

I really don't know what happened with this book. Maybe the first one was just so much lighter for me, maybe the characters had a heavy change of personality. (they did), but this book was just one big mess. I hated it with a burning passion, and my bitterness with SJM's books has just grown and grown.

I'm sorry to sound really b*tchy in this review, it's just that I keep giving into the hype of this author's books and I keep hating them everytime! So I think it's time for me to break up with SJM's books.

Have you read ACOMAF? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess


14 comments:

  1. Ha, I don't even know these characters and I found this review hilarious ;) Well done Em <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol well I'm glad I could give you a laugh!

      Delete
  2. On the one hand, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy ACOMAF; I actually prefer it way more to ACOTAR,but I do see where you're coming from on the characters, especially with Tamlin - Tamlin is definitely an idiot but I saw this as a good thing in a way because it brought to my attention the problem with the Beauty and the Beast story (falling in love with your kidnapper, the domestic abuse involved).

    On the other hand, I'm glad that it's going to have a positive effect on your reading anyway, because it means that you know not to put yourself through books you don't enjoy and can instead read other books that you will enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in a way it's kind of a good thing that I now know to stay clear of these books lol! If you put it that way then I can totally see the Beauty and the Beast comparison. I guess I was more focused on finding the princessy, paris aspects of it lol, which obviously isn't there. Tamlin's just an awful person.

      Delete
  3. Such a shame you didn't enjoy. I have to agree, it was heavy and I found it unnecessarily long. Tamlin irritates me to no end and so does Feyre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES EMILY. I LIVE FOR YOU. I COMPLETELY AGREE. NOTHING HAS BEEN TRUER. I AM SO GLAD TO FINALLY FIND SOMEONE WHO FEELS THE SAME WAY AS ME!!! We must unite against the creepy men in this series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YAY!! You have no idea how happy it makes me that someone agrees with me on this!

      Delete
    2. ^^ can relate with denise over here

      anna |annaish

      Delete
  5. Ouch Emily! I haven't read this one yet but this is literally the first review I've seen my people I follow that wasn't praising. I'm worried that I'll be bored because of the massive amounts of details you mentioned.

    Better luck next time! If you do read any of SJM's books after this. :)

    Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gennifer! Yeah I have not seen a single bad review which is why I was shocked that I hated this. I would say go in cautiously.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, I've never seen you react so strongly to a book before- it sure must have been one glorious mess to have provoked even you to such extremes. What a pity SJM didn't work for you- chances of me picking ANYTHING at all by her seem lesser by the day, LOL. One day...maybe...if I feel like trying something like her I will, but definitely not in the near future. Great review, Em- I quite enjoyed it hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even after I finished writing this review I was like: I have never sounded like this before??? But it needed to be done. I would say approach her books with an open mind, but I just know that for me, that open mind has left for good!

      Delete