Friday 21 October 2016

Room by: Emma Donoghue

Genre: Fiction, Contemporary
Published: September 13, 2010 by: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 321
Rating: 5/5 stars



Room is all five-year old Jack has ever known. It is his home, his safeguard, his world. But to his Ma, it is the place where she has stayed hidden away for seven years, after she was kidnapped as a teen. A product of Ma's captor who raped her, Jack had been taught that Room was all there was in the world. It was all he had ever known. But Ma soon realizes that their life in Room is limited, so she plans an escape for them to be freed. Banking on Jack's participation and a whole lotta luck, Ma tries to set her and Jack until a world she hasn't been in for seven years.

This book was like nothing I had ever read before. It had a very child-like tone to it, as Jack is the narrator through the entire story, but this only made the book stronger. It was upsetting and harrowing, but also triumphant and lovable.

The fact that this book is told from the perspective of a five-year old makes it so much stronger than if it were narrated by Ma. We got to see the whole world through Jack's perspective, which was so amazing in his eyes, but so scary to his mom's eyes. Donoghue perfectly captured the tone of a five-year old boy, I fully felt as if I were in his shoes. It was so unique.

I also really loved the sequence of events in this book. What you didn't think was going to happen, happened and what you thought was going to happen, didn't. It was very surprising at times but it moved at the perfect pace.

This book seemed very realistic. I could definitely imagine how this was how an kidnap victim would act, and this is how a child in the real world for the first time would act. Donoghue got little details so perfect that it seemed as if she had thought of everything. It was really interesting from a psychological point of view to see the character's reactions to situations.

Overall, an amazing book. It's also an amazing movie, which I actually watched before I read (oops) but both book and movie were so amazingly done. And Jacob Tremblay as Jack was such an amazing portrayal. Easy 5/5 stars.

Have you read Room? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess


8 comments:

  1. I'd heard of this, but always thought it was like a detective novel...? I have no idea where that idea came from! XD I think you hear about so many books, that the premises kind of get mixed up sometimes! I'll def. look into this one now - thanks Em! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, definitely not a detective novel, but still amazing all the same. You should definitely look into this one! :)

      Delete
  2. SO glad you liked it! I've just bought the book, so I'll be starting it next month ;) Can't wait!
    I also loved the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about how good the movie, so it's so relieving to see you enjoyed the book so much! It sounds like such a great read, Em, you've definitely mad me want to pick it up now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you definitely should!! I hope you love it :D

      Delete
  4. I love Room, so glad you enjoyed it too! I particularly love the child narration, it makes it feel even more unsettling and chilling, which I always love in a book :)

    ReplyDelete