Friday 20 May 2016

The Outsiders by: S.E. Hinton

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Classic
Published: September 1, 1988 by: Speak
Pages: 192
Rating: 5/5 stars



Ponyboy Curtis knows that there are only two groups of people in the world: The Socials, who are the rich, egotistical, well developed men in society, and The Greasers, who are the poor, uneducated and trouble makers of the world. Ponyboy and his gang are Greasers, and would do anything for each other to help defend them against the group of Socials who could jump them at any moment. However when chaos ensues and a Social is killed, Ponyboy and his friend Johnny are now on the run, from the law, from Ponyboy's authoritative older brother, and from a life where they will always be the Outsiders of society.

I read this book a long time ago, and it only occurred to me recently that I just had to re read it, when I watched the movie for the first time. If you haven't seen the movie, imagine 1980's brat-pack, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe and just sheer awesomeness. Seriously, everything about this movie is awesome. So I really wanted to re read the book and reclaim my love for it, and let me tell you, I totally did.

If you read my Paperback's Pondering's from this past Wednesday, then you'll know that I love a strong element of male friendship in a book. This book was obviously filled with really strong relationships that will make you begin to question every single friendship you've ever had. The love that these boys have for each other is extraordinary.

This book is full of some of the strongest characters you will ever see. I always find it hard to believe that S.E. Hinton wrote this when she was still in high school, as the writing in this book seems like that of an author who has written dozens of bestsellers. Each character was gorgeously crafted with his own special character traits, and each one of them played a role in the bigger picture. It didn't seem like some characters were forgotten about at all.

This book will make you cry. I'm just saying it right now, it's sad and if you don't already know what happens in it then boy are you in for a treat. However this is one of those books where it was a beautiful kind of sad. The context was sad, but the meaning was incredibly deep and meaningful.

I think that this book should be a staple in every teenagers life. Past or present, this book will find a way for you to relate to it and it will definitely make you laugh and cry. Read this, it'll change your life.

Have you read The Outsider's? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

4 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of this (also, how does someone come up with the name 'Ponyboy'? Lol.) Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting! And the best thing is, the names get even better. There's someone named Sodapop and another named Two-bit.

      Delete
  2. I had to read this for school when I was... maybe 14? Ish? So like, AGES AGO because I'm old. ;) I remember liking it, and I still have vague memories of it. I think it's definitely time for a reread! Thanks so much for reminding me of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely worth the reread! I think it's one of those books that can make you feel so refreshed on life, it's awesome!

      Delete