Saturday 21 May 2016

Conversations Week 4: What are the Essential Things the Blogs you Follow Have to Have?


Conversations is a fortnightly discussion hosted by Geraldine @ Corralling Books and Joan @ Fiddler Blue. Head on over to their blogs for all the information on these posts! This week is all about what is essential for a blog I follow to have.

I don't think I'm very picky when it comes to choosing blogs to follow. Really, as long as you're a nice person and blog about YA, I would probably highly consider following you. However there are a few things that are nice and helpful for a blog I follow to have. That being said, people should do whatever they want to do and don't feel like they need to have something in order to be popular.

I think that it is important for blogs I follow to reply back to comments, or at least comment back. I understand that some blogs get many, many comments and it's time consuming to reply to everyone, but I do like an acknowledgement of my comment. It makes me feel kind of awkward if no one responds or returns the favour. That being said, I don't just comment on blogs expecting to get a comment back, I just like to know that the blogger appreciated my comment.

I also like blogs I follow to have a social media page. Usually when I follow a blog I think I will like, I would like to follow them on other platforms as well such as on Twitter or bookstagram. It's just nice to talk to bloggers in platforms out of the comment section, so I do think having social media is important.

Like I said, I don't look for much, so lastly I would just like for bloggers to not only post book reviews. Sometimes you're not all that interested in the books they review, and so it's nice to put some memes/discussions/tags in there to appeal to a wider audience. I think it's nice to spice things up a bit.

That's pretty much it, if I'm being honest. Like I said before, I'm really just looking for a kind, genuine person who isn't only looking for more followers, and actually wants to get the chance to chat and know you. I've never had a problem with the blogs I have followed up to now, and I'm hoping to follow more great book blogs in the future!

What are the things you look for in a blog?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

18 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with the comment backs. I'll always be sure to reply to comments, even if it might take me a while. I also like content that's not....selfish. I don't know how to explain it, but I like informative, helpful post to readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I get what you mean! I like to read posts that can reach out to a wide audience and be helpful to me in some way.

      Delete
  2. Quite right! I don't expect people to reply back to comments straight away, they have lives - but within a week or two would be nice, a month at the most. Even if it's just a smiley-face (lord knows I do that when I'm stuck on what to say) - it let's you know that they've seen your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, isn't it? It's a great recognition, and I have a high respect for larger blogger's who still take the time to do it.

      Delete
  3. i've definitely found that on Blogger it's really important to comment, reply to comments, and comment back, vs. WordPress where it's a little more laid back because of the built in community that followers bring. but i definitely do look for people who love to interact with their followers/readers when on a blog hop. it's very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really nice to meet and get to know new people and that's why I think replying and interacting is really important. I've never used Wordpress so I don't really know the ins and outs but I do find that in blogger you do have to push to interact win people.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with the comments back, although I've been doing an awful job of commenting on books lately and that started even before I went on a hiatus. I'd say, though, that I follow lots of blogs who never reply to comments, AND WHILE I UNDERSTAND THEIR REASONS TOTALLY, I don't really comment on these blogs... Like you said, it makes me feel awkward and also sorta like the effort into writing that comment (which can be a lot because I usually write loooong comments lol) was for nothing, bc I'm not even sure the blogger read it. And yeah, I also like when they come to my blog and comment back, bc then I feel like they liked what I had to say??? Or just appreciated the comment. :D

    I also like when bloggers have an 'About Me' page with some info on them because I'm usually interested in the people I follow. Plus I prefer if they have social media pages that they can be found on a visible place on the sidebar. I hate to have to hunt them down.
    Great post, Emily! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronika! It's so lovely when people comment back, because it allows you to reach to a wider audience, and to be honest, I kind of get really excited when a really big blog comments on my posts, is that weird lol? But I also hate looking for social media so I think it should be easily accessible :)

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with you - a blogger acknowledging the comment makes me much more inclined to follow. I think it helps creates a good friendship and it means I can get to know the blogger a lot more. I think discussions are important too, because it means everyone can comment on them, and easier to interact with.

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love reading discussions because it's so easy to follow the conversation! And of course, building new friendships is a great thing:)

      Delete
  6. As a new blogger, I have plenty of time to reply to every comment and usually comment back, if I can find something I'm interested in.

    I'm not sure how I will handle it when I get as many comments as some of the popular blogs I have visited.

    Got My Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it can get hard, and I totally understand that, but it is always really appreciated for me when it can be done :)

      Delete
  7. I totally relate to this post! this is pretty much everything I expect from the blogs I follow, too! While I agree that the bigger the blog, the harder it is for them to reply to the comments or comment back, I kind of feel it's pointless commenting on them because what's to say they really do check out the comments? I always like getting replies to my comments, so it's a bit disheartening- but that still doesn't stop me from commenting on them, LOL :)) And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE bloggers who comment back. Spread happiness, yeah? ;) And yes, I do so love to find posts other than reviews on blogs because I tend to pick up books regardless of whatever reviews they receive :D My liking toward blogs like these has made me realize that it's high time I came up with other posts too- and I have to say the response rate is higher for other posts than for reviews. That says something, doesn't it? Maybe people really are starting to look for something more than just reviews in book blogs :)

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruzaika! It does seem a bit pointless, but you kind of have to just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they do look at every comment, which thankfully, most of them do. I totally agree with spreading happiness! I do find these posts much more enjoyable than reviews because so many people join the conversation! I love how on book blogs it's become more than just reviews :D

      Delete
  8. Yes to all of these! For me what's also important is the possibility to follow a blog on Bloglovin' - I love Bloglovin' because I can keep up with all the blogs I want to in one place, without having to sign up for email updates which clog up my inbox, or bookmarking the page which can get out of hand when there are so many great blogs around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bloglovin' too for those reasons! It's much more organized and convenient.

      Delete
  9. I feel like we agree so much on this topic! And I'm pretty much on board with what you said in the beginning - If it's a YA blog, I'm pretty much prepared to follow it already, too :) But I do also follow blogs that are mostly focused on sci-fi or just on writing. I like trying out things outside of YA, so it's always nice to see other genres too, since all the book news I focus on are YA. Anyway, rambling, sorry!
    Social media is pretty important to me too! I love following people on twitter, because you really get to know them better that way!
    Great post, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika! I enjoy reading blogs out of my comfort zone too, as new recommendations are always good!

      Delete