Friday 30 October 2015

The Catcher in the Rye by: J.D. Salinger

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Classic
Published: January 30, 2001 by: Back Bay Books
Pages: 277
Rating: 2/5 stars



In this coming of age classic, we follow Holden Caulfield, who has recently been expelled from his prep-school, and is "attempting" to get his life back on track. Through is struggles, we are able to dive deep into his teenage mind, and realize his biggest demon of all: alienation.

This book was... something. There has definitely been debate on this book. Some love it, some banned it, and some, like me, were just left confused. I wouldn't say that it was a horrible book, because I just didn't understand it. I found it all kind of weird.

What I will say about this book, is that the characters were done really well. Salinger did a great job at capturing the emotions and feelings of a troubled teenager. The book is written in a slang that can be seen as relatable to teens during the time, although I do have to say that the average teenager probably doesn't swear as much as Holden did. It still, really got the essence of the character.

The book definitely holds some strong themes. The basis is around this struggling figure who is alienated from society. People want nothing to do with him, and he wants nothing to do with people. I understand what Salinger was trying to get across, and I think that this book can be very powerful to those who need it. The quotes in this book, were magnificent.

I guess the reason me and this book just couldn't get along is because I just didn't get it. I found that the plot went nowhere and it felt more like reading a diary entry of a kid off school than a novel. I didn't find just following Holden's life all that interesting, and the language also through me off as well. Yes, teenagers swear a lot, but there was no need to have every other word be something that's vulgar. It just seemed a little wrong.

The whole character of Holden kind of annoyed me as well. Yes, the kid had some major problems and I did feel sorry for him, but he was kind of a jerk. It didn't really seem like he wanted to help himself, and I feel like he could have resolved a lot of his problems if he was just remotely civilized for one moment. I get he was supposed to be a "bad boy" figure, but he irked me to no end.

Maybe I just didn't like this book because I couldn't connect to it all that much. I've never been in his situations, and so I just found everything to be kind of wrong. Either way, it is a classic for a reason and it was very emotionally raw.

Have you read The Catcher in the Rye? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

14 comments:

  1. I love this book! I have an old copy that my Opa gave me so it's so special :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an old copy too! There's just something about an old classic that can be so sentimental.

      Delete
  2. (embarrassingly) I've never read it =/. I was supposed to when I was in high school, but I didn't. Hopefully I will get a copy and give it a fair chance. Great review!

    http://novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book (yet, it's on my parents bookshelf and I'll get to it eventually) and I have heard that Holden can be irritating. However from what I understand that's sort of the point. I know myself if I have a problem I tend to just think and think and not actively act on it. Also in regards to the swearing thing, this may just be because I'm Irish, but my friends and I swear A LOT, so if Salinger was going for realism I guess swearing is necessary. It's actually something that bugs me about a lot YA, even 'edgy' character seem averse to swearing a lot of the time. Anyway, I get where your coming from in this review and I'll have to get around to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a classic that I do think everyone should read in their lifetime! I do agree, Salinger really did write a different take on the "edgy" characters in most YA's, which I think was more realistic. Hope you can read it soon!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I only saw your review of this book today because I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY.

    First, I read this book last summer and, like you, I was really confused! Holden irritated me so much as well, and his use of vulgar language sort of made me dislike this book from the start. I also thought that the book was misleading and the plot was getting nowhere.

    But I sort of heard from other bloggers that this book is very symbolic, that's why it's being studied at school. :) Like, remember Holden's old school, Pencey Prep? (I'm not so sure if that's the actual name, but I remember something like that!) The school symbolizes how "phoney and cruel" the real world is. And Holden being alone the entire novel represents self-discovery and new knowledge about the world that a teen normally experiences. They were such deep symbolisms that it took me quite some time to absorb it all from the book :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so conflicted with this book! I thought that the plot had little development, but at that same time I tried to understand the symbolism and why it is such a treasured book. The symbols was what made it worthwhile:)

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I'm so sad that you didn't like this one. I read it a while ago, and I really enjoyed it. I agree with you that it's weird, very weird, but I think that's why it appealed to me. I also really liked the angst. (I have to reread it soon, but I just remember loving it when I first read it.)

    Question... Did you read this for school or did you read it on your own?

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that weird can either go good or bad. For me, I just didn't really connect with it. I read this on my own, because the whole controversy behind it really sparked my curiousity! Unfortunately we cannot read it in my school.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this novel - definitely one of my favorites of 2015! I actually really liked Holden's characters - he definitely wasn't a typical teenager, and I loved the symbolism. Another thing I adored was how hilarious the whole novel was. The lack of plot development didn't really bother me - it never does when I a book is either really meaningful or entertaining, and The Catcher in the Rye was both for me. Sad you didn't enjoy it more, though. :(
    Amazing review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciated how different Holden's character was, and I applaud the author for his symbolism. I really wish I could have liked it more :( Thanks Veronika!

      Delete
  7. I totally agree -- I was so confused. I really wanted to enjoy this book, but as you said, it felt all over the place. There didn't seem to be a plot. However, I did read this awhile ago, so I may pick it up a second time to see if my opinions have changed at all.

    Julia Anne
    Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to re-read this book in a couple of years as well, when maybe I am older and wiser, I might have more of an appreciation for it. But for now, this book and I did not get along.

      Delete