Friday 23 October 2015

Splendor ( Sacred #2) by: Elana K. Arnold

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Published: November 12, 2013 by: Delacorte Press
Pages: 352
Rating: 4/5 stars



Splendor is the sequel to Sacred, the continuation of a healing Scarlett, who has now found love in Will Cohen, who loves her dearly. But when Will goes away for college, Scarlett begins to feel bombarded by pressures of her parent's separation, wild-child Lily who can't seem to catch a break, and a mysterious new man who catches her eye. As Scarlett embraces herself in spiritual healing's, she must uncover where she really stands with the people in her life.

Splendor was an interesting sequel to Sacred, and an emotional one at that. If caught me off guard, and was heartwarming, thrilling and unexpected. While I did have some problems with the characters, it was a great sequel.

I absolutely loved the plot to this book. There was something very mystical about it, and I learned a lot from it, All of the teachings that Scarlett learned, were very interesting to read about and quite intriguing. Things were clear, concise and easy to follow, even while dealing with an unfamiliar topic.

The ending caught me by surprise like no other! I was shocked at what happened, but I do think that it added a great twist, and it really shook things up. I loved how it was completely surprising and it came out of nowhere, but it also kind of tied in with the rest of the book.

What I had a problem with, was definitely the main character of Scarlett. She was a handful. I cannot stand characters who think that falling in love with someone else while your boyfriend/girlfriend is away is absolutely fine, because it is wrong in every sense of the word. I feel like Scarlett could have avoided a lot of problems if she remained faithful and told everyone the truth. She really bothered me.

So overall, I really enjoyed this sequel!! It was very unique but I feel as if the main character could have had a lot better morals.

Have you read Splendor? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

2 comments:

  1. Splendor sounds really interesting, even if it's the sequel :P I really want to read the first book and find out about the story! Scarlett sounds like an interesting character, but I'm sorry that you didn't like her too well. And to hear that the ending would be surprising -- I love surprising endings ^_^ Hoping to check this one real soon. Thanks for the review, Emily!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sacred was definitely the more interesting out of the two, and I hope you give it a try! Thanks Jillian :)

      Delete