Wednesday 23 September 2015

Paperback's Pondering's: Bookish Stereotypes


Paperback's Pondering's is a weekly discussion when I take a topic and well, ponder about it! This week's topic is all about the stereotypes people have on reading.

I did a post similar to this before, about how reading can be a lonely hobby, but a recent event made me really wanting to dive deeper into the world of bookish stereotypes.

Long story short, when talking about how my favourite past time was reading to my English teacher, an ignorant guy in my class proceeded to go on and on about how stupid it is to have a hobby like reading. I was quite insulted, and I did defend myself, but I was still taken aback how someone could have such strong feelings about reading. What shocked me even more though, is the fact that when my teacher asked if anyone else in the class liked to read, no one else raised their hand.

It frustrates me that a hobby like this receives such backlash from teenagers! No one would have judged me if I said I liked to do sports or play video games, but suddenly as I say that I like to read, that's such a taboo thing?!

The fact that he called me boring, really got to me. I assured him that reading is probably the least boring thing out there! The fact that you can fully engross yourself in a whole new world, dive into a plot and wait for a killer ending, is about as boring as a rollercoaster to me! People find no problem in diving into a different world through movies and tv shows, so how is reading any different?!

I though long and hard about what he said, and I think I've found the reason for his madness: teenagers always associate reading with boring English classics and non-fiction. They have no idea that there are shelves and shelves of a wonderful genre called YA fiction out there, that people choose out of their own will to read! Believe it or not, but there are actually interesting books out there! There are books out there that probably have more plot than some of your favourite tv shows!

I guess this was more of a rant than a discussion post, but I really needed to get this off my chest. I can only hope that more people my age will realize the immense work and dedication that goes into each and every book out there, and that there are people out there that *gasp* enjoy to read them.

Have you ever received a bookish stereotype?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

8 comments:

  1. I have (luckily) not come across such an aggressive outlook towards reading, but it IS difficult, being surrounded by people just. Don't. Understand. But reading doesn't have to be a lonely hobby, I've discovered, because the internet is full of weird and wonderful people who just UNDERSTAND YOU. This is great post, Em :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand how some people have trouble accepting it! Thanks Ranu :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe the comments your classmate made!! I can't stand it when people are outright disrespectful about things that other people happy. Reading brings me fulfilment, personally, and I'm disappointed that so few teenagers like it. I'm just glad that there are bookish communities and blogs around for people who do enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just so shocked that he just could not see the bigger picture! I wouldn't trade reading for anything.

      Delete
  3. AW EMILY I KNOW HOW THAT FEELS :( :(

    Don't worry, every bookworm out there has definitely felt that same thing. I HATE how people stereotype bookworms as "boring and introverted." Just because somebody reads a book doesn't automatically mean they hate people, or outdoors, or even reality. If somebody loves to read books, others should respect that! I completely respect people who are into sports or video games, so reading shouldn't be any different.

    And same thing has happened to me. My Literature teacher asked the class who loved to read, and nobody else raised their hand. (I'm guilty of this, but I didn't raise my hand because i was afraid of the stereotypes.) These bookish stereotypes should really stop! They're scary in a way D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so awkward! But I am happy that I was able to talk to people who could relate. It's like we're all in this together :) thanks Jillian!

      Delete
  4. Ugh bookish stereotypes. I'm in an engineer in a nerdy college and people still it's really geeky and nerdy to read.

    ReplyDelete