Wednesday 29 July 2015

Paper Towns by: John Green Book to Movie Review


Instead of doing a paperback's pondering's today, I decided to talk about something that I couldn't wait to review: the paper towns movie. If you would like to see my review on the book, you can find it here.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Paper Towns by: John Green is by far my favourite contemporary novel. When it was announced that there was going to be a movie, I started following every update immediately. I really hoped that the movie would do the book justice. While there were some flaws, I was overall very satisfied with it.

The first positive I have on this movie is that the characters were spot on. When it was first announced that Cara Delevingne would be playing Margo, I was a bit dubious. I wasn't quite sure how she would get on, as I had never seen her act before. I have to say that there is no other actress that I think would have topped her performance. She perfectly portrayed Margo in her confident and mysterious demeanor, I loved it.

I also loved Nat Woolf as Quentin. I found him to be so fitting, and Q's quirky antics and determination was shown with perfection. Even Ben, Radar and Lacey were exactly how I imagined them.

I think that the movie kept up with the plot of the book well. There were the significant parts of Margo's mission kept intact, and I didn't find them rushed. There was some great comic relief, and I loved how they outlined the hours of Q's journey just like in the book.

There were elements of the book, however, that were left out and I wish I could have seen more. THERE WAS NO SEAWORLD SCENE. The SeaWorld scene is an iconic and hilarious part of the book, and I was so disappointed that it was shafted. There was a reference to breaking into SeaWorld at the beginning of the book, but I didn't feel like it was enough to replace it.

I also didn't really like how things were left in the movie. The ending only really focused on Q and Margo's relationship, and the other characters such as Lacey, were shafted. I liked the ending in the book because it focused more on a friendship aspect between Q, Lacey and Margo. Here, we get Lacey not even seeing Margo, and Q just swooping in and confessing his love to Margo. Things were a lot more "romantic" than I would have liked.

I did like this movie, but I felt like some parts to the book were missing. I felt like the characters were spot on, and there were some heartwarming parts, but I somehow thought that the ending was lost :(

Have you seen Paper Towns? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

2 comments:

  1. I just started this book last night and I'm loving it! Margo is so infectious. I agree the SeaWorld scene is iconic. I haven't yet seen the movie as I'm waiting until I'm finished the book but so far LOVING it! John Green has such a way with words I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book just has a way of capturing people and never letting go. I hope you enjoy the ending!

      Delete