Friday 3 July 2015

Me And Earl And The Dying Girl by: Jesse Andrews

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Published: March 1, 2012 by: Amulet Books
Pages: 295
Rating: 1/5 stars

Me And Earl And The Dying Girl is the story of high school senior Greg Gaines, and his journey to try and make a film for his dying friend, Rachel. Greg has never been successful in films, but he and his partner-in-crime Earl, and going to try and make this the most memorable one ever. All while trying to cheer Rachel up.

If I were to think of what this book reminded me of, I would say that it is a ya version of Diary of A Wimpy Kid. Except a lot ruder, insensitive, and un-developed.

Now I wouldn't consider myself a sensitive person at all, I can "take jokes" but this "humour" irked me to no end. I came into this book expecting a hilarious and feel-good book. The jokes were just racist, rude, and extremely forced. It was like watching a really bad comedian try some really bad punch-lines the whole way through. I found this book to be somewhat offensive.

I didn't like Greg as a character at all. I found him to be so rude to Rachel, and with all that she is going through, she deserved a lot more respect. I think Greg was supposed to be portrayed as a shy and awkward guy, but he just came across as a guy with zero people skills.

This plot was so undeveloped. Nothing happened whatsoever to make me interested. Greg tries to make a good film for Rachel, but it turns out that the film sucks and Greg achieves nothing. Great. It was such a let down.

You can probably tell, I did not like this book at all. It was just a bit too rude and it went nowhere. I couldn't connect with it at all :(

Emily @ Paperback Princess

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this novel and I probably will (I want to watch the film as well), but I'm a little concerned that you didn't like it. I hate undeveloped characters/plots.

    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the trailer for the movie and it seems a lot more emotional than the book! So maybe I'll give it a go.

      Delete
  2. So many people like this, but it really sounds as if the humour was too much. I don't think I'll be reading this. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humour was way overboard. Thanks Ranu!

      Delete