Friday 2 January 2015

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by: Jenny Han

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Contemporary
Published:  April 15th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Rating: 4 Stars 


Hello Everyone! I hope everyone had a great New Year! I was going to do a 2014 survey, but I figured that since I was in a reading slump for the latter part of the year, and my blog hasn't even been up for a year, then there was no point in doing one. There will definitely be one for 2015 of course! Here is my book review: 

I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, and I finally got it over break. The book follows Lara Jean Song-Covey, who writes letters to all of the boys that she has developed serious feelings for. However, when the letters are mysteriously delivered, Lars Jean gets caught up trying to convince the boys that she no longer loves them, including her sister's ex-boyfriend whom she develops feelings for again. Lara Jean soon realises that she will have to face the truth in order to make things right in her relationships. 

This book was incredibly charming. I think that the author did a great job at the writing, which was beautifully written and creative.The book was descriptive without being overly dramatic and cheesy, which can happen in a lot of romance novels. This book had just the right amount of humour and romance which I feel kept the book realistic. I also loved the author's use of plot twists. I was afraid that the book would become predictable, but it was not what I expected at all. 

Another thing that was unique about the book, is that it contained family relationships rather then just romantic relationships. Lara Jean and her sisters had a very tight bond, which I found to be incredibly cute and relatable to any teenage girl with sisters. 

There were a few things that could have been improved in the book. For example, Lara Jean was a very annoying character. She was ditzy and impulsive, two of the things that I can't stand in a character. I understand that she is fictional, however she should know like any other person that you should not go after your sister's ex-boyfriend. I felt so bad for Lara Jean's sister because I felt like Lara Jean was betraying her. That being said, there would be no plot if there wasn't any drama between characters. 

The ending of the book was okay, although I felt like I needed more information. The book kind of ended in the middle of a sentence which was really annoying. There is a sequel in the works, ( I don't think I would be able to carry on without one,) but I still feel like Han could have ended the story with some closure.

I rated the book 4 stars because it was interesting without being cheesy, and I loved the contrast in relationships. However I would have liked to have seen more of an ending, and less of an annoying protagonist. Why does the sequel have to be so far away? :(

Have you read this book? What did you think?

Bye for Now!
Emily @ Paperback Princess

4 comments:

  1. I really have no idea if I should read this or not. I read some reviews about it that convinced me it's total crap but now reading yours I'm reconsidering my choice of not wanting to read this book. Maybe I'll wait until the sequel comes out and then buy them together, I really have no clue of what to do haha.
    Anyway, wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! The book is great if you love a different romance book that is, it has family as well as romantic relationships. However, the main character is quite annoying. I found a lot of negative reviews on goodreads before I started too, but I still went for it. It was a pretty good book.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to read this book! I NEED IT. And the cover is gorgeous haha. The only books i've read from the author was The Summer trilogy though. I'm glad you enjoyed this, by the way! Lara Jean DOES seem like an annoying character.

    Thanks for the review! STILL NEED TO READ THIS.

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really eager to read it as well, I just never found the time. I loved the summer trilogy, so I thought that this book would be perfect for me. It did not disappoint, however Belly from the summer trilogy was a much better character than Lara Jean in my opinion. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete