Friday 16 January 2015

A Thousand Pieces of You ( Firebird #1) by: Claudia Gray

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Science Fiction, Romance
Published: November 4 2014 by: Harper Teen
Rating: 4 Stars


This book was different in both positive and negative ways.  It takes place in futuristic America, where Marguerite Caine lives with her physicist parents. Her parents have invented a revolutionary device: The Firebird, which allows users to jump into alternate dimensions. When Marguerite's father is murdered, her and her best friend Theo, follow the suspect through different dimensions to hopefully, avenge her father's death. But with each dimension, Marguerite's feelings towards the killer alternate and she begins to wonder if he is, in fact the culprit.

Like I said before, this book was really unique. On the positive sides, the book characters were so cool. Marguerite was a brave and intelligent character, and I admired her. There was no annoying heroine here! Then there was Theo. He was so cute and loving, and I loved his friendship with Marguerite. Even Paul, the murder suspect, was very well written. Like Marguerite, I began to wonder if he was the culprit as well. There were so many plot twists in this book, that it was always kept interesting. I would think one thing, and the exact opposite would happen. It kept me hooked through and through and all of the twists complimented each other. It was very unpredictable.

The only thing that I did not like in this book, was that it could have been very confusing particularly in the beginning and end. The middle was brilliant, however I could not understand what was happening at the start and end. The beginning moves so fast, as if we already know about Marguerite's past with her father. Then the ending or solution was really confusing. I couldn't follow what was happening, at all. Many pages were re-read.

I wouldn't normally go for a science fiction, so that is why I wasn't really used to it. The romance component, of course I was familiar with and enjoyed a lot! It was really just the start and end that I found a bit messy. I couldn't comprehend what was happening.

So overall, considering the fact that this book was a new genre to me, I really did like it. If you like science fiction, then this book is definitely for you. Even I enjoyed it, and I don't normally go for science fiction. I rated it 4 stars because it was really interesting and different, however could have been a bit messy. For my first science fiction book, I think it went rather well!

Have you read this book, or other science fiction books? What did you think?

Bye for Now!

Emily @ Paperback Princess






6 comments:

  1. This book looks so pretty! Science fiction is awesome, though I don't have the chance to read it often. I have not read this book, though I really want to! I like the uniqueness about it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erica! The cover of the book was really what drew me to it, and although science fiction is not my favourite genre, this book was great!

      Delete
  2. I read a lot of science fiction and got used to it too much. xD I mean, I've read the same use of plots and characters flaw often enough that it annoys me. So, I am on a temporary hiatus from reading science fiction. I've read a book that sounds like this one too so I'm not sure if I'll be reading this book in the near future. I might though because the cover is so darn pretty! xD
    UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover! That is what originally drew me to the book! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
    2. Hahah good cover can attract a lot of attention. After all, we do judge a book by its cover! At least, I do, a little. xD
      Welcome :)

      Delete
    3. I think we all judge books by their covers from time to time!

      Delete