Friday 19 December 2014

My True Love Gave to Me by: Twelve Amazing Authors and edited by: Stephanie Perkins

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Holiday

Christmas Break has just started for me, and I'm in a really festive mood, so it's only appropriate to review a festive book. This book was adorable and a pick-me-up.

My True Love Gave to Me features 12 different holiday-themed romance stories by 12 different authors including Jenny Han, Gayle Forman, Rainbow Rowell and Stephanie Perkins.  The stories range from long-lost friends reuniting at New Years, Santa's daughter finding love one Christmas Eve, and a girl spending Hanukkah away from home for the first time. There's something for everyone! I loved this book because each story had something special, and they always had a happy ending.

This book was great because it was diverse in each author's style of writing. Some of the stories were really cute, others very emotional, and others very funny. I think that this book was great because it would appeal to many tastes of reading, even though they all go back to romance. I can honestly say that there wasn't one story in this book that wouldn't appeal to someone.

My favourite of the stories would have had to been Jenny Han's one. It was just so cute and creative and really captured the spirit of Christmas. David Levithan's story was also so adorable and witty. The contrast in each character of the stories all played really well with each other.

The only negative thing that I have about this book is that some of the stories, I did not enjoy. However that's the spirit of reading! One thing that was great for me, could be boring to someone else and vice versa. I like books with more than one author because I can read different writing styles and appreciate the uniqueness of each book. So even though some of the stories were a bit boring for me, I would still recommend this book because it could be interesting for someone else.

Overall this book got me into the spirit of Christmas without being cheesy or predictable. The characters were not generic, and each one was personalised with their own interesting stories. I would rate this book 4.5 out of 5 stars because of this extremely charming book. We all will have those one or two stories that were a bit confusing, but all in all, it was a great book!


Hope everyone has a great break!

Emily @ Paperback Princess

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm soooo anxious to read My True Love Gave to Me! It's especially perfect for the holiday season! After hearing your praise of Han's story, I'm really excited to read it for myself, since I loved Burn for Burn. I agree, opinions can drastically differ from one story to the next. But thorough review, Emily, and I hope you have a great winter break as well!:)

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Han's story was definitely a personal favourite of mine, although all of the stories were fantastic. Happy Holidays and I hope you get time to read this break! :)

      Delete
  2. oh these stories sound so cute and wonderful!! I'm glad you enjoyed most of them. Great review, Happy Holidays!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Happy Holidays to you as well! These stories were a great winter read, and truly was the best Christmassy book I've read. I would recommend it to anyone!

      Delete