Friday 12 December 2014

Girl Online by: Zoe Sugg

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Coming of Age
Published: November 25, 2014 by: Atria/Keywords Press



I've been wanting to read this book ever since Zoe announced that she was writing one. For those of you who don't know, Zoe Sugg is a world-famous beauty blogger and youtuber with over 6 million subscribers on Youtube. I've been watching her for years, and was really anticipating how she would be as an author. Her book is about an internet-famous teenage girl, who falls in love with a boy she meets while on vacation in New York. He helps her through many struggles like her anxiety. However, he keeps a secret from her that threatens to ruin her internet life forever.

I first saw the description, and thought it looked really interesting. Zoe as an author could be a great thing! I was wrong. As harsh as this may seem, she should stick to youtube.

The book overall, was not good at all. The characters were cliche and boring, and the overall plot was extremely predictable. Zoe used such simple language when describing things. I understand that she is not known for writing books, but I would have liked to see more descriptive writing. One word to describe the book would have just been: boring.

I found myself really struggling to finish this book because there was nothing that caught my interest. Everything from the writing, to the plot was just so simple and a bit childish. The protagonist's love interest was the cliche all-American musically-talented boy that you read in most books. The term she used to describe him was: rock-god-tastic. I understand she was trying to capture what the average teenage girl would describe, although I think she missed the mark. The protagonist's language sounded like a ten year old was saying these things, not a sixteen year old.

I knew when I started the book, how predictable it was going to be. I predicted the entire book, and I got everything correct. There were no plot twists, barely a climax or inciting incident. Zoe was so quick into fixing the problem, that I barely even knew what the problem was in the first place. The problem and the solution all occurred in about two pages. It was not a very well structured book.

I feel really harsh writing this post because I do love her videos so much, and I admire her as a person. However, as a dedicated bookworm, this book was not for me. I feel like this book was more geared towards Zoe's fans who are not really into reading as much as others are. They just wanted something short and sweet. I however, found the book to be just nothing compared to other books that I have read.I was also shocked to hear that this book beat out Harry Potter to be the most copies of a debut novel sold. That's pretty impressive, but this book in my opinion, does not live up to Harry Potter standards.  It lacked creativity and descriptiveness. If you are a dedicated bookworm, I would definitely leave this book on the shelf. I would have to rate it 1 out of 5 stars. I understand  that it was a debut novel, but I have read much better debut novels than this. Sorry Zoe :(

Have you read this book or watch Zoe's videos? What did you think?

Bye for Now!
Emily @ Paperback Princess


No comments:

Post a Comment